MAGFest 12 Attendee Run Console Tournaments!

It's not a Con, it's a Festival! Except when it's a Stock! Or a Gen!

• Hey everyone, we here at the MAGFest Game Room are pleased to announce the return of Attendee Run Tournaments! For those of you who don't know, these are tournaments submitted and run by attendees for any game they choose. MAGFest provides the space and the system (provided it's not something crazy like a Vectrex) and you provide the manpower and game! (If we have the game in our inventory we're totally willing to let you use it, but it's generally a good idea to have your own copy, too.) It's a great way to showcase some of people's favorite older or weirder games that get left behind what with all the attention focused on things like Super HD Remix TekFighter Ultra Judo 2000 V2.379pi934 and Harkening of Battle 4: The Next Number. Last year we had great tournaments for games like Yoshi's Cookie, Pokemon Puzzle League, Shaq Fu, and WWF No Mercy 64, and this year we're planning on having even more! Here's a small preview of new tournaments that are coming this year:

Thrill Kill
    Super Smash Bros Brawl POKEMANIA
    WWE2k14 COSPLAY Tournament
    Looney Tunes B-Ball

If you're interested in submitting your own, check out the form at the bottom of this post. Game on!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Azz9h1 ... 4/viewform
    Mike_TV

• Oh....my....god.....
    ......LOONEY TOONS BASKETBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Chris Benoit

• I am VERY interested in the "WWE 2K14 Cosplay Tournament." Any more information on that? Do you have to be in cosplay to play? That would be AMAZING. Even more so if those setups have Ultimate Warrior available.....
    DeskLaser

• Chris Benoit wrote:Oh....my....god.....
    ......LOONEY TOONS BASKETBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This!

Really considering running a tournament, thinking either Goldeneye 007 (N64, the OG of console shooters), or Super Spike V'Ball (NES 4-Players).

- Nick
    MidshipHustle

• DeskLaser: So I don't have too much information of the WWE2K14 tournament besides what was written in the original submission. The basic idea is to invite people to come dressed as various wrestlers and managers from throughout the WWE's history. The whole thing will kind of be run like an episode of RAW or Smackdown, with pauses in between matches for promos and interviews. I'm not sure if a costume will be required for entry, but it certainly won't be for hanging out and watching. I've messaged the organizer to let him know we're talking about it here, so hopefully we'll hear something more soon!

MidshipHustle: I can confirm that we do not have tournaments for either of those games yet, so submit away! On a related note, we have LOTS of freshly repaired N64 controllers this year for just such an occasion!
    Mike_TV

• Hey Everyone,

Frank from Obstructed Views here, sorry it took me so long to get on to the forum. As you all know this is the busiest time of the year for just about everyone. Our WWE 2k14 tournament is going to be amazing! Have you ever had an idea of wrestler that you would like to be? Or maybe you would just like to dress up like your favorite wrestler from WWE past or present? Well, now you have the chance to do exactly that! The tournament will be made of 16 players facing off in fatal four way stipulation matches on WWE. TLC, Steel Cage, Hell in the Cell? Anything is possible! You even have the opportunity to cut promos! Do you think that you have what it takes to be the WWE champion? Well, now you have a chance to prove it. If you want to be part of this once in a life time event you can e-mail us here at contactus@obstructedviews.net. You have a chance to win prizes from t-shirts to M-Points and even a copy of WWE 2k14. There is one catch though, come in your best wrestling gear. That’s right, we want you to come as either your favorite superstar or your own personal superstar. There is limited space in this event so contact us now!

Our top 4 contestants will win these prizes!
    First place:
    WWE 2K14 (Xbox 360) and M-Points
    Second through Fourth Place
    Obstructed Views T-Shirt and M-Points!

You are not required to dress up in costume but we strongly encourage it. All we ask is that everyone has a good time!
    innocenceexiled

• Any hardcore Pokemon Puzzle League/Tetris attack players? I got beat up on pretty hard last year. I have been practicing up this time.
    TigerClawTV

• Hmm, fatal four way matches, meaning the guy who inevitably shows up in jean shorts and a Cena shirt gets teamed up on without mercy, lol.
    DeskLaser

• DeskLaser wrote:the guy who inevitably shows up in jean shorts and a Cena shirt gets teamed up on without mercy, lol.

I like this idea.
    Chris Benoit

• So hey, my tourney got an okay.

Who all likes Checker Board Chase from Kirby 64?

I am trying to get an idea of how many people would be in it because the con can supply me with one game, and I am trying to decide on 1v1 or 1v1v1v1 for it.

Also, beat up on the Cena guys for me please.
    mitamaking

• Don't worry TigerClawTV, you'll get your chance for revenge at the Pokemon Puzzle League tournament this year!
    Mike_TV

• mitamaking wrote:beat up on the Cena guys for me please.

You got it.
    Chris Benoit

• Is there any way to find out what tournaments are currently a go? Me and my friend wanna do the Dance Masters tournament if it's happening again this year, and remedy the problem if it's not. :)
    eruanna

• We try to encourage people to stay away from the John Cena selection just to keep odds fair :lol:
    innocenceexiled

• And because the costume would be a huge cop out anyways. Now, my Mark Henry "costume" will be extraordinarily shitty, but will at least have some effort put into it lol.

Will your games have Ultimate Warrior available?
    DeskLaser

• I'm thinking about hosting a team tournament for Smash (Brawl- would be a great addition), or Pokemon X/Y. I think most games are more interested when you have to cooperate with someone, and I'm sure there would be many participants. My question is: do you think it would be more interesting if you could choose your partner, or got paired up with a stranger?
    GoldenJoe

• Oh! A Pokemon X/Y tournament? I'm in! Can we do something ridiculous like triple battles? Or better yet, I'm looooving the idea of team battles, 2v2. I'd prefer to choose my teammate though ;). Just know that if you hold this tourney, I'll be there.
    Mateoman

• GoldenJoe wrote:I'm thinking about hosting a team tournament for Smash (Brawl- would be a great addition), or Pokemon X/Y. I think most games are more interested when you have to cooperate with someone, and I'm sure there would be many participants. My question is: do you think it would be more interesting if you could choose your partner, or got paired up with a stranger?

I'd definitely be interested in smash(melee and brawl). I think it would be more interesting to be paired with a random person. But random partner or self chosen partner, I'm down either way.
    Chris Benoit

• Brawl would be cool (just because I suck at Melee...)

Edit: Super Smash Bros straight up, (Because I suck at Brawl and Melee).

And random partners for sure. Nice way to get to meet people, and so there's not a dominant team if two people are super good at it and pair up. Gives everyone a fighting chance.

- Nick
    MidshipHustle

• I agree! I think Smash should be randomized for sure. I just think self-assigned teams make more sense in Pokemon, as you can build a cohesive team in advance rather than just rolling the dice. And I'm a bit biased, because I already know who I'd choose as a teammate ;).
    Mateoman

• I've made a separate thread for the Brawl- tournament. Let's discuss there:
    http://magfest.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=316&p=0&e=0

As for Pokemon, I'm all for having a tournament, but they're finalizing the schedule tomorrow. Perhaps we can just organize something informal. You know, set up a sign that says "Show up at 5 for pokemon" or whatever at the handheld lounge.
    GoldenJoe

• eruanna wrote:Is there any way to find out what tournaments are currently a go? Me and my friend wanna do the Dance Masters tournament if it's happening again this year, and remedy the problem if it's not. :)

I was e-mailed a preliminary schedule since I'm hosting a tournament. Looks like Just Dance on Friday at midnight, and Dance Central on Saturday at midnight - both are NGA tournaments (not attendee ran). I'm guessing they'll have the complete schedule posted soon once things are locked in.

- Nick
    MidshipHustle

• I've come to plug my radical tournament, as it has a date and time

The cult classic Sega fighter "Eternal Champions" is back to once again find a new master to help set the time-line of the world correct.

This tournament will use the Sega CD version of the game, and be a double-elimination, best 2 out of 3 matches. The animal characters will be off limits for this tournament (I hear that one of the Magfest Mystery Challenges may be better suited to you if you are well-versed in this game's joke characters).

The tournament will be taking place on Friday at 7pm! So if you have a thing for Sega fighters, or just need to kill some time, why not come play one of the most under-rated games in the genre?

Winners will recieve M-Points, and the top placer will get the Eternal Champions medal, passed down to them as proof that they are deserving of being the guardian of our universe!
    GUNSTAR

• Hey everyone, MikeTV here again with the MAGFest 12 Tournament Schedule! We still might add a few things, but here's the schedule as it will appear in the printed version.

NGA Tournaments (Official MAGFest tournaments)
    THURSDAY
    3PM Modern Warfare 3: FFA Tiny Knife Fight (360)
    6PM Naruto (PS3)
    9PM WWE All Stars (PS3)

FRIDAY
    12AM Raving Rabbids: 4 player tournament (360 Kinect)
    12PM Super Smash Bros. Impossible (Various)
    3PM Super Street Fighter IV (PS3)
    6PM Killer Instinct (XB1)
    9PM Tekken Tag 2 (PS3)

SATURDAY
    12AM Just Dance 2014 (360 Kinect)
    12PM BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma
    3PM Halo 4: 2v2v2v2 Atomic Rules (360)
    6PM Towerfall (Ouya)
    9PM Retro Gaming Gauntlet (Various)

SUNDAY
    12AM Dance Central 3 (360 Kinect)
    12PM Divekick (PS3)

Attendee Run Tournaments

THURSDAY
    6PM Looney Tunes B-Ball (SNES)
    8PM Super Smash Bros Brawl POKEMANIA

FRIDAY
    12AM Injustice: Gods Among Us (360)
    12PM Goldeneye 007 (N64)
    2PM Tetris (NES)
    4PM Sonic 2 Vs (Genesis)
    6PM Eternal Champions (Sega CD)
    8PM WWE2K14 Cosplay Tournament (360)
    10PM Tecmo Super Bowl 2013 (NES)

SATURDAY
    12AM 2v2 Big Bumpin' Bumper Hockey (360)
    12PM Yoshi's Cookie (SNES)
    2PM Pokemon Puzzle League (N64)
    4PM Kirby 64 - Checkered Board Chase (N64)
    6PM Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown
    8PM Pac-Man Vs (GC)
    10PM Super Smash Bros Brawl- (WII)

SUNDAY
    12AM Thrill Kill (PS1)

With regards to the Pokemanz, we're running a MAGFest Pokemon League in the Game Room, so come by and try your luck at the gym leaders!
    Mike_TV

Next

Return to MAGFest General Discussion

Information