Unofficial Networking/Meet and Greet

It's not a Con, it's a Festival! Except when it's a Stock! Or a Gen!
Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:24 am

• One of the most pleasant surprises I had last year was how many folks, like myself, had various projects and or endeavors of theirs, and were all too willing to talk about them. Thing is, this came from my socializing with a few folks at panels here and there, nothing official, which is a shame, because given the size and scope of the multitude coming to MAGfest, it's a networking dream, not just for the shops, panelists and showcases mind you, but for all the little guys with some website or project they'd love to talk to others about.

Essentially, I'm checking to see if there would be any interest in organizing and informal meet-and-greet for all the folks who would be interested in networking or getting their own work out there, wether they right game reviews, post Lets Play videos on YouTube, or have a line of Sonic Steampunk fanfics they want to share (real example from last year actually). Would there be anyone interested in something like this? What could be done to that end?
    My website, Korsgaard's Commentary. Please stop and by, read my work, tell me what you think!
    Like me on Facebook, Follow me on Twitter, and check me out on YouTube!
    thekingsguard

• Definitely interested as I'll be showcasing a board game I'm making. I have no previous MAGFest experience, however, so I doubt I can be much help for organizing anything. My plan was to either show up in the board game room and talk to people, or post a notice on the message board with a set demo time, depending on the event schedule. Having an actual meetup at a set time would be great, but I feel it would need a dedicated slot in the schedule so we don't have to sacrifice other activities we were going to attend.
    Salvatos

• Salvatos, I'm demoing a board game as well. You can get slots on the schedule, though I'm not sure if it's too late. Send magfest-tabletop@googlegroups.com a message to see if they can fit you in. This will be my second year demoing, things seem much more organized this year. Last year I just set up at some open tables and started luring people in to play, so even if you just do that you'll draw a crowd.

I'd also be down for having an actual meet-up if there is any room left on the schedule. It would be cool to have an open forum for indie game developers, bloggers, and crafters to talk about what they do. I might shoot the magfest team an email tonight to see if we could set this up.
    mstock1

• Thanks for the advice, but barring this thread leading to a meetup, I'll just do it the old-fashioned way. I'll focus my time at the fest on whatever I feel like doing at the time and show off my game when I don't feel drawn by anything else in particular (if that even happens!) :)
    Salvatos

• mstock1 wrote:I'd also be down for having an actual meet-up if there is any room left on the schedule. It would be cool to have an open forum for indie game developers, bloggers, and crafters to talk about what they do. I might shoot the magfest team an email tonight to see if we could set this up.

That would be fantastic - it would be great if we small fries could get some time to shine with the big guys, especially since networking is the only way small fries become big guys haha
    My website, Korsgaard's Commentary. Please stop and by, read my work, tell me what you think!
    thekingsguard

• Just got word back from the magfest crew, hoorah!

"There a few areas in the hotel where you could accomplish this. There's the hotel lobby and lobby bar, where there's plenty of seating. There's the area at the top of the escalators which may nor may not have tables and chairs, depending on when another event in the hotel starts setting up. There's also the MAGES brainspace (the side informal brainstorming space) which will probably be pretty free whenever there aren't any scheduled discussions in there. You're more than welcome to use any of these spaces. Best of luck!"

Once the schedule comes out I'll check to see when the MAGES room will be open, this sounds like a place that'll draw a lot of people like us. Then we can pick a time and post something on the Facebook page to let people know it's happening.
    mstock1

• Yep, MAGES sounds good. Once we have our date and time set, we should also prepare a little poster/post-it for the message board so anyone passing through can see it if they didn't subscribe to the FB page.
    Salvatos

• From the website:
    Music And Gaming Education Symposium (MAGES)

The newest feature to the lineup of activities at MAGFest, MAGES is a panel track dedicated the discussion of all aspects of game creation. Every facet of the process of game creation, from story to gameplay to level design to visuals to music composition, are all simultaneously both a science and an art, and MAGES exists to provide a forum analyze all these aspects. Academics, developers, writers, composers, artists, and fans are all welcome to join in the discussions that will be taking place all weekend. In addition to the scheduled panels in the MAGES lineup, there will also be areas dedicated to free open unscheduled debate and discourse.

I think it will fit like a glove :)
    Salvatos

• first of all... this is what magfest *IS*. the whole thing. you guys are being redundant. thats ok, we can have meetings at our meeting. (yo dawg)

MAGES is the name for our newly-focused panel track, where smarty people have panels about brainy topics.

'brainspace' is the name we've tacked onto the room we've designated for general, unstructured discussion and hanging out.

the rooms are right next to each other, and very close to the ops/security rooms. i'll probably be making it my home base for most of magfest.

ostensibly brainspace is for discussion of intellectual topics relating to games, but in reality it'll be a place to hang out and have chill conversations. you guys are welcome to arrange meetings there, hang out, talk, 'network', whatever. if it turns into too much of a big/loud party, i'll boot your asses out into the hallways. =] it should be a perfect place to meet up for conversations, though.
    III_Demon

• III_Demon wrote:first of all... this is what magfest *IS*. the whole thing. you guys are being redundant. thats ok, we can have meetings at our meeting. (yo dawg)

MAGES is the name for our newly-focused panel track, where smarty people have panels about brainy topics.

'brainspace' is the name we've tacked onto the room we've designated for general, unstructured discussion and hanging out.

the rooms are right next to each other, and very close to the ops/security rooms. i'll probably be making it my home base for most of magfest.

ostensibly brainspace is for discussion of intellectual topics relating to games, but in reality it'll be a place to hang out and have chill conversations. you guys are welcome to arrange meetings there, hang out, talk, 'network', whatever. if it turns into too much of a big/loud party, i'll boot your asses out into the hallways. =] it should be a perfect place to meet up for conversations, though.

Sounds good, hopefully see you folks there!
    thekingsguard

• I'd like to do this. I'll be coming up from Houston, TX on Thursday afternoon, so this'll be a great way to spread my YouTube channel, plus I'd like to meet more people who are interested in other miscellaneous games. Overall I think this would be an excellent idea to have an official event like this next MAGFest. I already know I'll be coming to the next one!
    Tenzaromon

Return to MAGFest General Discussion

Information