Magfest 2015

It's not a Con, it's a Festival! Except when it's a Stock! Or a Gen!
Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:12 pm

• I know it's early, but I'm sure some people are already excited for next year's Magfest! The weather going home caused my group to have to leave a bit early and we didn't get to attend the closing ceremonies panel so I'm wondering what the dates are for next year's Magfest and if they're in the same location?
    I also notice if they stick with the usual 1st Thursday-Sunday in January theme then it would fall on Jan. 1st 2015. Mayhaps they will be planning an official Magfest new years celebration along with the usual festival (can we start the rumor of a 5 day magfest for 2015? :p )
    sirmeep

Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:56 pm

• I don't know dates. I DO know we are in the Gaylord until like 2019 or something crazy like that.
    Deast

Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:54 am

• Deast wrote:I don't know dates. I DO know we are in the Gaylord until like 2019 or something crazy like that.

Yes, MagFest, from my understanding is reluctant to move, because they have difficulty finding a location that will allow them to be 24 hours without huge increases in cost. MagFest wants to continue to do this thing without corporate sponsors, and at reasonable ticket prices, which I think is what makes MagFest special.
    jamisonia

Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:22 pm

• quick reply so this thread doesnt fill with too much speculation....

first of all: i'm not 100% sure about gaylord contract stuff, its one of the things i'll be addressing very soon. some of the fuckups with the astronomers coming in after us were due to some vagueness in the contract, and i'll be trying to make them much more clear for the future. that said:

we have a contract with the gaylord for many years.

we plan to stay there because of many factors, the actual primary one being: its very important for magfest to have an attached hotel. the feel of magfest would be seriously damaged if everyone had to walk a few blocks in the cold every time they wanted to go back to their hotel room.

next year is later, like 2 or 3 weeks after new years. again, i'm not going to be specific until i hammer on the contract a bit. we'll announce it publically soon enough.
    III_Demon

Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:34 pm

• Thanks for the update. I'll keep an eye out for the official dates to get my room reserved and start spreading the word :)
    sirmeep

Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:46 am

• III_Demon wrote:
    next year is later, like 2 or 3 weeks after new years. again, i'm not going to be specific until i hammer on the contract a bit. we'll announce it publically soon enough.

This makes sense in many ways and i wouldn't be opposed to it at all.

First off this will open peoples schedules a bit. Not just attendees but also potential panalists and bands. Have a show so close to the New Years might be a determining factor for booking people. Having it a few weeks down the line makes sense.

Also this could mean cheaper flights, other transportation and possibly hotel costs since moving it away from the holidays, new years and peak times will be cheaper on all of us.

The other and probably the most important factor that i'm sure the MAGfest staff is aware of is that the NHL Winter Classic (the yearly outdoor hockey game) is going to being held in D.C next year Thurs, January 1st 2015 ( http://capitals.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=683457 ). It is still unknown as to where its going to be played next year but it sounds like either RFK stadium or most likely Nationals Ballpark. Both of which are in close proximity to the Gaylord National. The Gaylord National and probably ALL hotels in the area will be jammed with players, media from around the world in the weeks and days before/after the Winter Classic. If anything the Gaylord National will probably be used for a Fanfest, media events and/or hosting players for the game. Eventhough we managed to have the Redskins in the hotel with us at M11, this is a much bigger event. Scheduling MAGfest13 far away from this event will probably be the best for all of us.
    Bladesofsteel

Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:49 pm

• III_Demon wrote:next year is later, like 2 or 3 weeks after new years. again, i'm not going to be specific until i hammer on the contract a bit. we'll announce it publically soon enough.

I'm okay with this! Gives me a few more weeks to get ready post-holidays/save some $$$.
    Anarchris

Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:38 pm

• Yea I don't think being later would be a big deal, might make travel somewhat cheaper.
    JayMadison

Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:20 am

• On the other hand, it's terrible for those of us who go during Winter Break. That was one of the appealing facts of MAGFest; nobody in our room had to worry about getting there late or leave early.

EDIT: Double checking everything, my group might not be able to make it up Thursday period then. Mid-day Friday at the earliest, unless you somehow pull of a Fri-Mon con on MLK Jr Weekend.
    tim_pkmn89

Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:23 pm

• I hope it is 3 weeks out because then I will not risk having it fall when my company does mandatory inventory. I have enjoyed the past few years and I would hate to miss it.

I really would have liked doing the New year's eye Big Night DC and MAGfest back to back again. That was fun but I know it didn't give MAGCrew much time to clean up before the fest began.
    Ricin

Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:49 pm

• I hear the theme for next year is Tron?
    drakken22

Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:26 pm

• whoever said that was speaking inaccurately. i would never say something like that. especially in any official capacity at closing ceremonies. that wasnt me.

the theme is not anything copyrighted by disney.

it is 'computer-inspired retro-futuristic neon' perhaps involving some sort of discs or abstract simplified geometric shapes as represented by crude 3d rendering... the concept of humans inserted into video games... maybe some 'glow bikes'...

but no. definitely not 'tron'.
    III_Demon

Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:50 am

• I staffed but I probabaly won't do it again. If I go in 2015 I'll be taking the plane and paying my own way
    darkcat1

Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:31 pm

• Pleeeease... extend it... one more... DAY!

Wed-Sun would be awesome. This was my fifth year going, it's always been a blast, but I always feel rushed. If it were extended one more day I feel that would allow more breathing room between all the panels and concerts and other fun stuff I always want to attend. And there'd be less overlap. I understand if it's not possible due to the Gaylord's availability, financial reasons, etc. I've just made the suggestion for the last couple of years now and I would like to keep it visible for the organizers' consideration.

Thanks again for all your hard work putting it together. MAGFest was, as always, an absolute riot. It remains my favorite video game event I attend every year and it's worth the ten hours I drive one-way to get there.
    bigjt_2

Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:09 am

• bigjt_2 wrote:Pleeeease... extend it... one more... DAY!

there are people within magfest who have been wanting and planning this for a long time. sadly, we're the insane minority.

most of the magfest staff threatens to mutiny when you mention adding a day. as it is, its already pretty overwhelmingly exhausting. most of our staff have day jobs, family, and sleep to get back to. for attendees, its 4 days... but many of the staff are there 2 or 3 days before, and 2 or 3 days after, dealing with set-up and tear-down. thats a full week of chaos and stress, and they cant bear the load of yet another day of it.

if you want more magfest, help out. make more.
    III_Demon

Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:20 am

• III_Demon wrote:
    bigjt_2 wrote:Pleeeease... extend it... one more... DAY!

there are people within magfest who have been wanting and planning this for a long time. sadly, we're the insane minority.

most of the magfest staff threatens to mutiny when you mention adding a day. as it is, its already pretty overwhelmingly exhausting. most of our staff have day jobs, family, and sleep to get back to. for attendees, its 4 days... but many of the staff are there 2 or 3 days before, and 2 or 3 days after, dealing with set-up and tear-down. thats a full week of chaos and stress, and they cant bear the load of yet another day of it.

I'd like this as well, although I would think it would have major impacts on logistics.

Random idea: Have an offshoot of mages that involved people working on some sort of small group project in mini teams that compete with each other (I did it as part of a work-nerd thing in '12 and it was a lot of fun. We basically programed robots to race each other).
    JayMadison

Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:27 pm

• I feel like getting it up and running and taking it down is the hard part, letting it run another day would be relatively easy. Time away from work/family is a good point though.
    Ian
    Site Admin

Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:48 am

• III_Demon wrote:
    bigjt_2 wrote:Pleeeease... extend it... one more... DAY!

Is there typically room for volunteers who want to just help out with setup/tear down or is that more reserved for people who are more involved in the logistics and planning of Magfest?

On a side note, my group of 5 would love for Magfest to be extended a day, but I can understand how Magfest staff might need a constant IV drip of redbull or 5 hour energy for this to happen. If an extra day for Magfest were possible with enough manpower, I wonder what response a "call to arms" on the site/forums would have? I think if it meant an extra day of crazy fun you'd have people pitching in to assist. Either way I know I'll be back and ready to enjoy next year's events!
    sirmeep

Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:20 pm

• sirmeep wrote:Is there typically room for volunteers who want to just help out with setup/tear down or is that more reserved for people who are more involved in the logistics and planning of Magfest?

If people show up and are willing to do scutwork and heavy lifting, we'll generally find something for them to do. We vastly prefer to know before hand who'll be coming, and what they'll be doing. Keep an eye out for when registration and volunteering opens up.
    ShinRa Actual

Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:07 pm

• tim_pkmn89 wrote:On the other hand, it's terrible for those of us who go during Winter Break. That was one of the appealing facts of MAGFest; nobody in our room had to worry about getting there late or leave early.

EDIT: Double checking everything, my group might not be able to make it up Thursday period then. Mid-day Friday at the earliest, unless you somehow pull of a Fri-Mon con on MLK Jr Weekend.

Looking at the calendar doing it the week after new year’s (Jan 5) would be fine (for me) but the following week (Jan 12) many colleges start school. For me, and likely many others, I would start back to work shortly after the holidays with little vacation left and having the Fest 2-3 weeks after the holidays will make is so we all get back to work for a week or two, then have to ask our bosses to be off for almost a week (if we drive).
    Maelachton

Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:44 am

• Heh who knows how it will shape Magfest. There are always whiners about the dates. Its just how it goes really. Just be glad you are most likely in the eastern time zone so you have options of getting to Magfest. I either have to fly or take a bus 1800 miles (each way). Christmas is on a thursday this time so I bet alot of places will give the day after off as well. Just something to consider is all.
    rod

Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:48 am

• MagFest wants to keep do this factor without business vendors, and at affordable solution costs, which I think is what creates MagFest unique.
    richard32

Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:02 am

• Any word on when passes & rooms will become available?
    Emmit066

Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:24 pm

• Emmit066 wrote:Any word on when passes & rooms will become available?

As far as I know there's no word past what's on the home page, but that also means they should be available this week.
    JMC

Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:03 am

• TICKETS ARE ON SALE!!!!!!!!!!! :D
    JMC

Next

Return to MAGFest General Discussion

Information