MAGFest 12 Feedback thread

It's not a Con, it's a Festival! Except when it's a Stock! Or a Gen!
Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:18 pm

• As a Panelist…
    I really have to give props to the panels department being really accommodating. Even though I originally said I was available for any time, due to attaining a job that completely conflicted with my original panel time at the last minute, I was no longer able to do that time, & I’m super appreciative the panels dept. was gracious in accommodating me & giving me a new time. So mad kudos to that. Even when presenting, I appreciate that the staff & volunteers more or less had all the equipment under control. My only real complaint is that they took so long to get the audio equipment together, namely the microphones, that I didn’t have any time beforehand to make sure my PowerPoint displayed correctly on the projectors & I had a sound issue that took a few minutes to resolve, despite getting there 30 minutes early. Although the issue was resolved relatively quickly, since most if not all the volunteers/tech crew left immediately as soon as the panel began it took longer than necessary to fix the problem. Still, the tech crew was pretty much on point (at least for my panel).

I would greatly appreciate it, as I’m sure most panelists would, if maybe some disclaimer can be placed on the MAGfest site (mainly the panels page) emphasizing to first take up any issues/criticism with panels with the actual panelist, since we’re the ones who worked & presented the panel, & not go straight to the con staff. This can be done post-con. Con staff can only do so much but anything to do with the actual panel is solely on the panelist. I understand going directly to the con staff when it’s an issue of a panel/panelist being downright offensive, but pretty much everything else is panelist specific. This also would help those panelists who enjoy hearing feedback on their panels in receiving it. I mean, despite mentioning various ways at a panel how someone can contact them post-panel/con, ppl. still rather go to con staff vs. the actual problem solvers. Running to the forums is great, but the panelist won’t necessarily see this & is quite counter-productive in the improvement process of any given panel.

As an Attendee…
    My first time attending & I totally loved it! Loved the guest selection (definitely bring back 2 Best Friends!); ppl. playing music in the hallways (mad props to the flutist playing the Chrono Cross opening!); loved the music in general; & the Games on Film room was a fantastic idea! Definitely bring that back.

As far as critiques are concerned, I also agree with others’ comments about putting the actual name of the room next to MAGfest’s name for it on the map; I liked the Mages programming, just needs to be moderated a little better (but definitely keep it going); ditto to selling MAGfest stuff online. Those are the only real complaints I could think of based off my individual experiences.

Otherwise, I had a radical time & am looking forward to next year~! Bump Otakon Vegas, I’m going to MAGfest >.<
    ~~
    dj Date Masamune
    Panel Site:
    https://djdatemasamune.wordpress.com/
    Gauron

Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:50 pm

• As a staffer, my perspective is probably different, but I did have a lot of interaction with attendees, and I have heard a lot of the same concerns over and over again. As such, this post represents both my opinion and the various opinions I have heard over the weekend.

The locations of things in general were very good. It's not even necessary for me to get specific (though I will anyway), because I did not have any issues with the designated locations for events at MAGFest. Tabletop games were perfectly placed, all the way at the top so that gamers can sit and relax without being bombarded with the noise of arcades or concerts (my primary complaint last year). Marketplace, arcades, and consoles were all easy to find. Concerts were harder to find without a map because they were not where I was expected, but once I knew where they were it was obvious where to go. Jamspace might have been hard to find for some people because it was down a very dark hallway, but I had no problem getting there when I needed to be there. In general, once I had a good idea of where everything was, it was all intuitive.

On the other hand, I did have a problem with things that did not take place in a designated space. As much fun as it is to have music in the hallways all the time, they draw crowds, and the music often took place in high-traffic areas. Not only were the locations bad for traffic, but they were also not places where loud noise was appreciated. The most egregiously obnoxious location was the one stretch of space between the Marketplace and the escalators, which frequently drew musical performers, DJs, and dancers. The noise level was bad enough that it was interfering with operations in the merch booth; customers could not hear our questions very well, and we could not always hear their requests, either. The crowds also blocked people from entering the Marketplace, and from going up and down the escalators. I am not against people gathering to play music and have fun, but there was so much of it that it would be better off in its own designated space (and NOT in the hallways). I recall Jamspace being a good place for such things in the past, but from what I've seen of it this year, it'd be best to create a new room or set of rooms for these performers. Most of them obviously put effort into their music--I saw some fairly pricey speakers and an ensemble that had obviously spent time rehearsing--so I don't think it'd be best to kick them out, but it is not appropriate beyond perhaps a casual individual soloist to be playing in the halls. Anything that blocks foot traffic is a fire hazard.

The schedule thing was a bit of a sore point for a lot of people, and staffers were given conflicting information about them. Some people said there would not be a printed schedule at all; others said there was one, but we weren't allowed to hand it out unless people didn't have smartphones because it was reserved for them; others said there were a limited number and that we should only give them to those who asked. On the staff side of things, we need to have a policy set in place for such things, so we can inform attendees properly and not send them all across the Gaylord looking for a piece of paper. And the schedule in question was incomplete! There were no maps or concerts on the schedule at all, which was awful for people who do not have a smartphone and want to know these things.

If we are to restrict schedules again next year, please please PLEASE have some sort of announcement about it on the website in an obvious place (such as in an FAQ, on the homepage, or as part of the registration form), and make a tentative, easy to print schedule available at least the Monday before. And do make it obvious, or people will not remember or notice. Or put the schedule on a poster along with the maps that were everywhere! It might be long, but it would certainly alleviate the printed schedule problem if the schedule was posted in a public place. The fact that there were so many maps was incredibly useful, especially for those of us who had to give directions on the first day but were not moving around enough to have been anywhere yet.

As far as the maps go, actually, it was very confusing that there were things labeled "lost woods" and "dungeon", and I got a lot of questions about that that I just could not answer. Was the Marketplace meant to be called the Dungeon, or was the Dungeon the bottom floor of the fest? Let's not do that next year; just label the rooms with the terms the hotel uses. Or be clearer about what means what, because there were very few people who actually knew how to interpret that map.

An unexpectedly large number of people came to the merch table just to ask questions, many of which could have been avoided. A lot of conventions have an information desk, and I think MAGFest has grown enough that it warrants one now. Or we could have just had some sort of note on the website or on the schedule and in Guidebook that mentioned that Lost and Found is not its own department and that Security handles both lost/found items and first aid. Either way, we need a way to deal with the frequently asked questions. Otakon handles this well; they have multiple help kiosks and also staffers who roam around as mobile information booths. Even if we don't go that far, we should keep these questions in mind and respond to them for next year.

Registration was fairly quiet when I was there, but I saw lines much longer than they ever should have been during the rush! For that, I have a few suggestions, some to MAGFest, others to attendees.

To the staff, I know that registration is not the most fun place to work, but they only have so many people working there. If you have some experience with registration, consider spending a few hours helping out next year, especially on Thursday and Friday; they really need people who know what they're doing, not just volunteers from staff pool who were stuck there and have to be trained. Increasing the number of computers there will also help, though I did hear from tech ops that there was already a shortage and more would be unfeasible. And to those who are organizing it, it was really nice that attendees were able to pick up badges on Wednesday this year, and perhaps publicizing it or making it more official will help with crowd control.

To attendees, please keep in mind that registration is open 24/7. If you can possibly come in the evening before, do so, and keep in mind that if you arrive at the Gaylord at 3:25 AM, you will be better off picking up your badge that night if you don't like waiting in line. Do not put nicknames in your registration; we find you by your legal name on your photo ID. If you do put a nickname in there, please remember it and tell the staffer about it! There is nothing more terrifying at a con than to pay >$400 for your flight, hotel, and registration, only to get there and hear that you don't exist in the system. If we can't find you by your name, there are still ways to look you up, but they are more complicated, and not all staffers know how to do it. As you probably already know if you've ever been to MAGFest before, you can write whatever you want on your badge once it is yours, so there's no reason not to put your legal name on the form. (Be glad about that, too; Otakon insisted last year that everybody write his or her real name on the badge, and was way too heavy-handed about it, to the point of being unkind to attendees who did not want to put their names on their badges for privacy reasons.)

To staff: Whether you are a supervisor or just a staffer being relieved, do your best to make sure the new arrivals actually know how to use the system. When I was transferred out of my department to registration for a shift, nobody asked me if I was trained. If that is a pattern, it is a bad one. For other staffers put into a position with no training, don't be afraid to say something to the shift supervisor! I know things can be busy and even hectic in Registration, but if you ask for guidance from your supervisor, you'll be a lot more efficient in the long run.

Also, also, also, if you registered a group, there are a few things you should know. If you absolutely had to leave a name off the list and want to register the badge to a particular group member at MAGFest, that person has to bring you along in order to get assigned to the badge. It causes a lot of unnecessary stress and waiting to the members of the group who are not included in the list in the first place, so do your best to organize a time to come in with them if they are unable to come in with the rest of the group. Groups can also check in all at once under the group name, so you don't all have to go to different registers when you arrive. In fact, it's faster to check in that way if the entire group is together at once. It's not necessary, and I don't even know if it's encouraged, but it does make it easier to keep the group together.

The things I just mentioned to attendees were part of the line control problem, and should be mentioned to them before they arrive. Especially with groups, it can be frustrating for both attendee and staff when somebody paid but is named [unassigned attendee] and has no means of proving that the group leader has indeed paid for him or her. I am not blaming attendees for not knowing these things! I understand a lot of people were upset, though, and there's no reason our registration line should get any more inefficient than it already is.

I found it incredibly annoying that people were constantly leaving the building to smoke, but doing it right outside the entrance on the Atrium level of the building. It didn't help that there is a smoking symbol there on the map. It isn't explicitly illegal in Maryland to smoke right outside, but it sure is frustrating when the smoke comes right back into the building...not to mention the cold drafts when people forgot or did not bother to close the door. I would typically choose to avoid loitering in such an area, but the people assigned to sit at the merch table or right outside the Marketplace have no choice. Perhaps it's insensitive of me to say that smokers should brave the cold and walk far away from the building to smoke, but it was their choice in the first place, and if they don't like it, there are many methods available to help them quit (such as patches, gum, and electronic cigarettes).

Even more annoying than the cigarettes was MAGFest's lax alcohol and drink policy. A friend and I were stopped at the entrance to the Marketplace because my friend had an open container full of coffee. The staffer got halfway through his sentence, telling us that open drinks weren't allowed in the Marketplace, and then noticed my friend and I were staff. "Oh, you're staff, so it's all right," he assured us. It is not all right. Staff should not get preferential treatment when it comes to open containers in a room full of merchandise and electronics. If we have a policy, we should enforce it universally. If we don't have a policy, we shouldn't mention it.

There were also a number of people who brought alcohol in to MAGFest with them. I didn't have a problem with attendees being drunk, but a lot of these people were on-duty staff, and that is not acceptable. I understand the desire to drink during breaks, but staff should not be bringing alcohol with them to their shifts, no matter how late at night it is. Many of them bragged about their alcohol and offered it to other staffers who were on duty. That is also not okay (and please check wristbands before offering your coworkers booze). If you are a staffer who did any of this over the weekend, please reconsider for next year. Just because there is not a rule against it (as far as I know) does not mean you should do it.

I'm sure more will come to mind at a later time, but those are my primary observations and opinions. I didn't spend a lot of time doing things that weren't staffing, but I did enjoy my weekend! I tend to complain a lot regardless of whether or not I've had a good time.
    SilverShoelaces

Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:53 am

• as a guy without a smartphone: Even though I found a printed schedule it was still hard to find all the panels I wanted to go to. I probably missing about half of the ones that would have been interesting to me. Someone needs to account for this abit
    darkcat1

Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:35 pm

• My only suggestion, as I also posted int he MAGFest 2015 thread, is that the organizers please consider extending MAGFest another day. I understand this may not be possible. But Wed-Sun instead of the current Thur-Sun would be awesome. I love the fest, but always feel incredibly rushed and only end up getting to do about 50% of what I want to do because of panel/concert overlap.

Again, I understand a lot of this can't be helped even if it were extended another day. But it would definitely help some. More MAGFest is always a good thing!
    bigjt_2

Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:37 am

• Growlzie wrote:I would love to see a centrally located "information center" with a message board so semi spontaneous events and "matchups" could be posted (kind of a "looking for munchkin players Sat 3:30 meet at Boardgame checkout" "TF2 team needs player, contact X" "Zelda Jam in the Jamspace at 4pm all instruments welcome")
    "

I think something like that could easily be put on the forums and then linked of guidebook
    JayMadison

Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:25 am

• Omonom wrote:- It's very surprising to me to see how few people have remarked on attendees' behavior in the hotel. I've been coming to MAGFest for 5 years now, and have stayed in the hotel for 4 of them, and in that time have not experienced such a high level of disrespect as I saw this year. Sure, in the past there's been ruckus. But this year, the noise in the guestroom hallways was beyond compare (louder, and lasting much longer throughout the night). There was vandalism, trash strewn about (as someone else mentioned), people peering on the floor... I had a couple of friends leave the convention early because of how out-of-hand the behavior in the hotel was. I know that it's not really possible for MAGFest to control this behavior, but I hope they can find ways of trying to prevent it (sounds like the "no alcohol in the convention areas" rule got pretty lax this year), and to hold accountable those who are caught acting that way.

Where was this? I was on 6 and didn't see much other than random pizza boxes in the hall for no reason. I checked in NYE and mag was calm compared all the drunken trampyness going on before it lol.
    JayMadison

Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:54 am

• SilverShoelaces wrote:If we are to restrict schedules again next year, please please PLEASE have some sort of announcement about it on the website in an obvious place (such as in an FAQ, on the homepage, or as part of the registration form), and make a tentative, easy to print schedule available at least the Monday before.

There's a fedex office right in the hotel, maybe magfest can work out a way people can just show up to get a printed schedule. Do we know how many people used the guidebook app vs didn't?
    JayMadison

Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:43 pm

• JayMadison wrote:
    SilverShoelaces wrote:If we are to restrict schedules again next year, please please PLEASE have some sort of announcement about it on the website in an obvious place (such as in an FAQ, on the homepage, or as part of the registration form), and make a tentative, easy to print schedule available at least the Monday before.

There's a fedex office right in the hotel, maybe magfest can work out a way people can just show up to get a printed schedule. Do we know how many people used the guidebook app vs didn't?

That could work. Even if people have to pay 1$ or something for it, it shouldn't be a deterrent and I'm sure Fedex wouldn't mind a bit of extra business during the fest. And if people don't want to pay for a schedule, they should just print it at home before they get there. I do have a (not-very-)smartphone and I still had my own copy of the schedule with me in case (which was a good idea considering Guidebook just sort of died one evening).

Although posting the schedule along with the maps seems like the logical first step. I thought I'd read somewhere that there would be schedules up on the walls here and there for reference, but I saw none of that.
    Salvatos

Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:25 pm

• Salvatos wrote:
    JayMadison wrote:
    SilverShoelaces wrote:If we are to restrict schedules again next year, please please PLEASE have some sort of announcement about it on the website in an obvious place (such as in an FAQ, on the homepage, or as part of the registration form), and make a tentative, easy to print schedule available at least the Monday before.

That could work. Even if people have to pay 1$ or something for it, it shouldn't be a deterrent and I'm sure Fedex wouldn't mind a bit of extra business during the fest. And if people don't want to pay for a schedule, they should just print it at home before they get there. I do have a (not-very-)smartphone and I still had my own copy of the schedule with me in case (which was a good idea considering Guidebook just sort of died one evening).

Although posting the schedule along with the maps seems like the logical first step. I thought I'd read somewhere that there would be schedules up on the walls here and there for reference, but I saw none of that.

As long as they have the pdf you could just tell folks to go there to get em. Fedex by my house only charges pennies :)
    JayMadison

Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:09 am

• I brought 4 new people to Magfest this year and they're excited to come back next year! I always enjoy Magfest over other events because the staff seem to genuinely enjoy being there. I will say the tournament sign ups for the console area seemed to be a little unorganized this year (For many of the tournaments we were sent around in circles just to find the sign up sheet).

I enjoy the different variety of games that make an appearance at Magfest each year. You have classic arcades, popular current console games, as well as imported machines that most of us will never see outside of magfest.

I would like to see more oddball events in the future, like maybe a gaming tournament involving several different types of games (fighting, shooting, dancing, old school, board games, etc.) and I heard tale of a Gamer Iron Chef competition that was held before Magfest moved to the Gaylord (I know it's near impossible to talk the Gaylord into letting it happen but will always keep my fingers crossed)
    sirmeep

Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:48 pm

• sirmeep wrote:I would like to see more oddball events in the future, like maybe a gaming tournament involving several different types of games (fighting, shooting, dancing, old school, board games, etc.)

OK, this is first suggestion I'm actually excited about. A Gaming Decathlon? FUCK YES.
    Mike_TV

Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:46 pm

• This was my first MAGFest and it was a blast. If everything was perfect, there would be no need for improvements. Here are my "issues" that I ran into. This being my first time coming I think I saw things differently than veterans of this awesome event.

When I arrived Thursday to pick up my pass in the late afternoon the line was out the door, down the hall, down the hall towards the stairs, then down & around the hall near the LAN room. Sure, it sucked waiting in line for what seemed like a few hours, but when you have over 10,000 people trying to get their passes at once I completely understand. It was fairly orderly & moved along quite well.

I will agree with everyone else, the Dungeon, Lost Woods, & other names was not helpful to me (a first time attendee). I did have the guidebook so i had the map but it would have been cool to have a legend that told me what the MAGFest names equated to on the hotel's list.

I thought the Colossus signs were awesome. I think everyone observed them rather well, it was weird to see them missing half way through the weekend.

The guide updated itself a few times from when I downloaded it on Monday until Saturday during MAGFest. What annoyed me about that is I had a whole bunch of things I wanted to check out & I had to keep regenerating my schedule. (Minor annoyance to be sure, I was enjoying everything going on.)

The Dungeon was louder than I would have expected. On the last day, it smelled like the funk of 40,000 years. Decent number of vendors, lots of cool things to purchase. I liked the indie game area, it was cool to check out some things that were in development. Wish there were more pinball machines, there was always a line for them unless you tried playing at 6 am. MAGFest Pub Trivia was excellent & I hope it happens next year!

It would have been nice to have had some menus of restaurants that delivered to the hotel in the guide. Sure, Papa John's & Domino's delivered (and I cna get those at home), but it's nice to try something local that's different.

I liked where the table top games were, it was cool to be able to actually hear what others were saying. At times it seemed that area was too small.

I was not aware of an open container policy, then again there was water everywhere which I heard was new this year. It definitely helped to stay hydrated over the course of the weekend.

I understand the idea about having an entrance & an exit to the Dungeon for traffic flow, it's a great idea. It was cool to see DJ's set up in the hallways but it would have been nice if they were a little bit out of the way of the main traffic flow. Still, they were cool to see & hear.

Outside of the pizza boxes here & there, I didn't see any vandalism/upside down lights on the 19th floor. Then again, I was on the 19th floor.

The hotel staff was excellent & everyone should thank them when they can. They did a hell of a job dealing with a 24 hour Fest & the craziness that comes with it with nothing but courtesy & patients. Respect the them & the hotel, then will respect us & the shenanigans that come with us.

All in all, it was an awesome time that I am looking forward to flying down to again. Keep up the good work, listen to everyone's criticisms & compliments & learn from any mistakes that were made. I can only see this thing growing.
    Emmit066

Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:59 pm

• Being my first MAGFest, I must say that I had an outrageously good time. I'm already foaming at the mouth to get dates and info on MAGFest 13 so I can go ahead and get some folks and start buying tickets!

I stayed in the "Dungeon" for the huge majority of the event. There was a fair amount of space on the Console\Arcade corner of the room to navigate, which was nice. I did not like how a majority of the rhythm games were crammed into the far corner, though. I was trying my best at smashing scores on Keyboard Mania and Guitar Hero: Arcade, but I could hardly hear what was going on. Same with the Dance Dance games- you just can't hear over the noise. I think it might benefit from spacing the rhythm section out just a bit.

The pinball area was a bit crowded. This seemed to be the area that was hogged the most by the same general group of people. The only time I even got to touch a machine was late on the final day, and I was immediately replaced upon losing the last ball (yes, I'm awful at pinball.)

The vendor area was a bit cramped. Probably not much that can be done to improve this situation, but thought I'd mention it. (I did walk away with a nice collection of Genesis games. Next year, I'll be sure to bring a bigger bag so I can buy more.)

The ENTIRE FESTIVAL could benefit from more signage. Signs, signs- everywhere should be signs. Tell me what THIS game is, tell me what games I can swap out for, tell me what times they're going to be playing THIS, tell me where I can find WATER, where I can find BATHROOMS, tell me everything. Post schedules, post times, post QR codes, post pictures, post EVERYTHING. There were a large amount of general "things" happening that I didn't even know about until the last day, only from overhearing conversation at that point. I had no idea what the people were doing with the PlayStation Move controllers on the Rock Band side, but had there been a sign, I probably would've understood and even joined in. It looked fun, but my lack of information dissuaded me. I didn't know where to sign up for tournaments, or what PowerGig was doing on the table (as if I wanted to know), or what that space game projected up on the wall was, or what the couch was used for, or anything. So much knowledge I could've gotten from signs. And also, paper schedules. I have a smartphone, but being a Windows Phone, Guidebook kinda... hates us.

The (non-official?) tournament I participated in for Rock Band Vocals was a blast, shout out to the guys who ran that. I would love to see more rhythm game tournaments (Rock Band drums, Guitar Hero guitar, Dance Central 3 again, Rock Band vocals again) next year. Also a shout-out to Milt, who ran the Rock Band 3 setup the entire time. I ended up parked at that for almost the entire stay, I loved playing with everybody around it. Looking forward to it again next year, hopefully. :D

I didn't have any issues with the alcohol or open container business going on. People were enjoying themselves in the Dungeon, nothing got broken, and if so then they're responsible for it, so yeah. I'm actually quite thankful for the watercoolers, although I wish there were some Coke or Pepsi machines around somewhere, damn.

Music-wise, the bands weren't my cup-of-tea. My friend did get harassed by a staff member for trying to bring water into the MegaDriver, which I understand, but she was kinda rude about it. The random dance freakouts in the hallways were fine with me, I'm the kind of person that will just plow through the crowd, so traffic doesn't affect much.

Jamspace\Shedspace. I loved it... when I discovered it on the LAST NIGHT. Right before closing time, when they were doing a final few jams, I walked in. It was magnificent, but again, I couldn't find it because of a lack of signs. That dark empty hallway just looked like a dark empty hallway. Next year I plan to fully take advantage, and visit those guys more often. I learned a lot this year. My friend and I do wish, however, that there was some other space aside from that where "amateurs" can play with the instruments. I loved the staff jams and the people that could play going up, but I was looking to pluck around on some strings and am just not good enough to know complex chord progressions and those advanced techniques. A couple guitars and basses and keyboards and a drum kit in a separate, monitored room (I know people get carried away with the equipment) would've given my friend and I our fix, and I could've put a few of the things I learned in the Jamspace to work right away.

In the end, this was a completely wonderful experience, and I can't wait to go back next January. Thanks to everyone who made it happen!

(P.S. PLEASE have Smash 4 next year. More Smash in general would be nice. :D)
    Delibird444

Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:15 pm

• I really only have two pieces of feedback to throw in:

1: More miniatures. I'm an avid fan of Warhammer 40,000 and Star Wars X-Wing, but there was practically no presence for those or any miniatures games outside of a single free play session each for 40k and Warhammer Fantasy. I feel like its the only kind of game that got no real representation. I understand that its difficult to transport miniatures (coming from Kansas I had only considered getting a case for only about 500 points of 40k models, which really isn't a lot), but I think it is a pretty big omission from a fest that's supposed to be about gaming in all of its forms.

2: The mosh pits. I have no problem with mosh pits during shows. I get that people enjoy them. Hell, I briefly joined in willingly for a few minutes during Machinae Supremacy, but people who start them need to be more considerate of the people around them and security needs to be better about spotting people trying to escape them. Although I joined into one willingly, I got dragged into two others and both times security tried to push me back in when I was trying to get out.

That said, outside of the occasional Colossus Roar in the lobby (I love the Roar, but there is a time and place for everything, 11:30pm in the lobby is not the time or the place, again, people need to be considerate), I have no other major complaints. I hope to return next year if finances allow it.

Also, bring back Machinae Supremacy!

EDIT: I'd like to issue an apology to the person who got upset with ChaosD1 and I as we were chatting while walking back to our rooms on Friday night. I don't think we were the ones making all the noise as we were talking at normal levels, but by the off chance you're reading this and we were the ones who woke you up, I (and I assume ChaosD1) didn't mean to piss off anyone.
    Cloud3514

Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:29 am

• I saw a previous complaint about the number of non-gaming related cosplays, which I disagree with because they were plenty of gaming cosplays (I mean, the sheer amount of LoL cosplayers alone & all good ones :D ). If anything I wish there were more cosplay events to encourage more cosplaying in general.

That being said, definitely loved the cosplay battle event! It was spectacular & I definitely would love to see that next year. My only slight issue was going by the name & description, I wasn't quite sure what the event would specifically entail, which is why I sat it out, but after the first time I totes want to participate next year 8-) .

Also, going along with having more cosplay events, please consider having cosplay chess >.< I'm used to anime cons, & Katsucon was the first time I've seen & participated in something like that & I had a ton of fun, it's fun to watch, & it's a great cosplay event to have. Especially being a gaming convention, it would be easy to have multiple events throughout the weekend with different videogame themes. One for LoL cosplayers, one for fighting games, one for FF characters, etc., etc. It would take a decent amount of planning & setting up beforehand getting everyone together & other related pre-con things, but if you follow how other conventions do theirs, like Katsucon, I'm sure you bros on staff could easily figure it out & p7ut your own awesome twist to it.
    ~~
    dj Date Masamune
    Panel Site:
    https://djdatemasamune.wordpress.com/
    Gauron

Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:36 pm

• MAGFest Pub Trivia was awesome. Justin made sure that everyone who wanted to play got into a team & had a great time. I was glad I got to talk to him for a few minutes afterwards about kilts, he will be missed.

I hope that MAGFest Pub Trivia happens next year. I think it would be cool if it was renamed "JewWario's MAGFest Pub Trivia" or something like that to honor the man that left us way before he should have.
    Emmit066

Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:00 am

• ShinRa Actual wrote:
    VeraFX81 wrote:5. I would like a notification system to remind people of a panel that they may have been interested in. I missed 15 minutes of on cause I was on a roll in Goldeneye.

The Guidebook app does this.

It does indeed. I used that app the entire weekend. Also, you have to be your own notification system for a panel YOU want to go to. That's what watches and cell phones are for.
    Chris Benoit

Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:13 pm

• I WANT WRESTLEFEST ARCADE AT MAG 13!!!!!!!!!!!!
    hizzo

Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:44 am

• MAGFest 12 was my first MAGFest and I had so much fun I had to do it again, even with the travel nightmare I went through. Despite my age (31 at the time) I am not a particularly well traveled person so going all the way from North Dakota to DC alone via plane was intimidating.

But yeah nearly 4 straight days of what amounted to a nonstop party. All the panels were awesome, the arcade was awesome, the dealer room was awesome, the food was awesome, basically everything was awesome. This was my first con event since I went to Anime Central in 2006 and this just blew it out of the water.
    Mr. Sautrn

Previous

Return to MAGFest General Discussion

Information