LAN Gaming Tournaments

It's not a Con, it's a Festival! Except when it's a Stock! Or a Gen!
Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:35 pm

• TL;DR - Below is a list of games there might be tournaments for. We're going to be streaming tournaments this year. We could use some help if you're willing.

Hey there everyone, Deast here, your benevolent LAN Tourney Overlord. I just wanted to touch base with the small community here on the forums to try and disseminate some information and ask for some help if you're interested!

We'll be running lots of tournaments yet again this year. We're still working on the final list of tournaments, but right now a partial list of what we're considering include:

Almost certainly going to happen
    • Starcraft 2 (1v1)
    • Team Fortress 2 (teams)
    • Hearthstone
    • CS: GO (team, solo gun game and/or solo deathmatch)
    • DotA 2
    • LoL
    • Heroes of the Storm

Currently being considered, either for less serious "for fun" tournaments or just because we're not sure about popularity
    • Nosgoth
    • Garry's Mod (Melonbomber, TiTT, Murder etc)
    • Left for Dead 2
    • Guns of Icarus
    • Awesomenauts
    • Warcraft 3 (Frozen Throne)
    • Brood War
    • Smite

We come up with our list of games based on what seems to be popular (or popularly nostalgic) and based on the games we play and love ourselves. That said, please share your opinions with us. If you don't see something you'd like to see, or if there's a game you're super passionate about on the "maybe" list that you want bumped up, post and let me know!

Also, I want to tell you all about something I'm super excited about. I've been kicking around an idea for a couple years now and it finally got to a place where I felt comfortable pitching it to the higher ups at MAGFest (who loved it). This year (hopefully, anything could change last minute) we're going to also be running a completely separate room that we've been calling the "Streaming Lounge" (please let me know if you have a better name). This will be a room where people (including non-LAN players) can come watch various MAGFest LAN tournament matches live in a comfortable setting. We'll be broadcasting matches from many of our different tournaments over the weekend (maybe even with commentators) and we'll even be streaming those games over Twitch and posting them to Youtube. I've seen some surprisingly high level play in our tournaments the last few years, and I'm excited to share that with the world (and give your friends a chance to watch you win it all)!

Since we're running more tournaments than ever (for hopefully more people than ever) and expanding into a second room, we could use some help! We're always looking for more people interested in joining the tournaments team to help us organize and run our tournaments. Also, now that the "lounge" is a thing, we're looking for people with Twitch streaming experience and also people who are experienced in (or want to try out) competitive game commentating. You don't need to be Day[9], a desire to learn and work is really all that's necessary (along with knowledge about one or more games). The commentators' role is to entertain and inform, making the games accessibly viewable to those who don't know every in-and-out of the game. If you'd be willing to help in any of these areas, let me know! MAGFest does a lot for its volunteers, I can't recommend it enough!
    Deast

Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:04 am

Return to MAGFest General Discussion

Information