Food Delivery Options

It's not a Con, it's a Festival! Except when it's a Stock! Or a Gen!
Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:21 am

• Hey everyone! So this is going to be my 3rd MAGFest and I'm trying to figure out what options exist for food aside from the restaurants in the Gaylord and some of the others in the general vicinity. I know I heard a lot of people talk about getting food delivered to the hotel as an alternative. So, give me some suggestions of places to order from while there. Any and all feedback is appreciated. Thanks!
    ChrisMcG1983

Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:34 am

• I remember my roommates getting Dominos one night.
    Mr. Sautrn

Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:23 pm

• Stop by the concierge desk and ask for fliers from local delivery places, they usually have lots of them.

Delivery come to the front door, not to your room.
    Decnav

Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:52 pm

• Good stuff. Thanks for the help!
    ChrisMcG1983

Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:50 pm

• If you stock on sandwhich stuff ahead of time on bring food you'll totally save a bunch of hassle.
    JayMadison

Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:32 am

• Does anyone have any recommendations on pizza delivery? I know there will be Dominos and such, but I always try to go for a local pizzeria instead of Dominos/Pizzahut/whatever. I'm sure I will find some in flyers and phone book, but I just wanted to check if anyone here knows of a good one.
    year zero

Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:56 pm

• This is my first MAGfest but I've been going to the Gaylord for years for Katsucon and it's a rough time of year 'cause it's too cold to want to leave the hotel. If anyone has good recommendations for japanese places that deliver (or chinese, or thai, japanese is just my favorite) that'd be greatly appreciated!
    kawaiistargirl

Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:56 am

• Here's a breakdown of the many great places for food in the National Harbor. I myself plan to check out Potbelly's this year:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1p5K ... CQdXnA/pub
    "Fire, Fire! Heh Heh Heh!" - Kefka Palazzo's retainer - Final Fantasy VI
    osurpless

Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:38 am

• The longest walk from the gaylord is to the best burger place, elevation burger. Frenchfries cooked in olive oil are outstanding
    Decnav

Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:27 pm

• I read about Elevation Burger as well; definitely planning to check that out, as I've always seen how good fries are in peanut oil (Five Guys) so I'm definitely interested in the use of olive oil.
    osurpless

Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:46 pm

• Next year how do I get permission to bring a food truck? This is a serious question!! I know lots of people would appreciate it.
    pollo316

Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:52 pm

• If you plan on hitting up Elevation Burger be sure to plan ahead and expect a possible 1-2 hr wait for food, especially if you plan to go during peak eating times (12p-2p) and (5p-7p)...

Also Food trucks would be amazing but I sense the National Harbor would poo poo the idea.
    Bladesofsteel

Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:31 am

• So Elevation Burger is that good? I like peanut oil so thats why I dig Five Guys but I'm not a huge fan of the taste of olive oil….do the fries taste of the olive oil at all?
    kawaiistargirl

Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:02 am

• Yea, I love 5guys, they have greasy sloppy awesome fries, elevations are (were?) shoestring style fries in olive oil. Im not normally a fan of olive oil, but the fries are awesome. Im a vegetarian so I cant comment on their burgers but the fries are worth the walk and wait.
    Decnav

Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:37 am

• Last year we had Chinese and Pizza delivered; the wait took forever though, so I would order ahead of time if at all possible.

But I second everyone else that says to bring food. It's super cold in that area at this time of year, plus the restaurants around it can get pricey. To maximize on savings and time spent in the cold, I'm bringing instant coffee, oatmeal (you can buy the single serving cups), ramen (with an electric kettle for the water), and some cereal bars (Nutrigrain, etc.). And don't forget monster :P If you have a costco/bjs/sam's club membership, go get a case of energy drinks, it's great savings!
    Kuri

Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:49 am

• I did some searching on Yelp and other places, and found Glorious Pizza delivers to the Gaylord hotel. Reviews seem overall good. Like I said, I am not a fan of the chain places, as I would rather get something I've never had before. I will be ordering that on day 1.

Thanks for the info on Elevation burger. It sounds like 5guys, but costs more. The comment about an hour long wait is scary. If I am nearby I might stick my head in and see if there is a crowd.

Subway is right next door to Elevation Burger. They have never done me wrong at a convention, but can have a long line at peak times.

Also, there is a McDonnalds up the road, ever further from the hotel, and it's 24h. I don't know if I'm willing to walk .6 mile each way in the cold for an overprice 3 hour old McMuffin.

Also, there is a CVS pharmacy closer then EB. Prices are also jacked, but they have a small bit of groceries like cereal and snacks. Combo that with a tiny fridge in the Gaylord's rooms and you could be set for the weekend.

I myself am bringing down some beef jerky and a big bag of granola bars. I'd rather have one nice meal or pizza at a con like this, and then run on basics to save money and time. Same thing at Quakecon: $20 hamburgers at the Hilton, and 1 mile walks at 112deg heatwave to a 7-11. After the first trip trying that I started packing MREs in my suitcase :)
    year zero

Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:28 pm

• Do not try the McDonalds. Unless things have changed, the path there is not pedestrian friendly. Unless something changed since last year, you'll have to do some hiking (actually uphill) and cross an interstate on/off ramp.
    tim_pkmn89

Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:19 pm

• That's a good thing in my opinion. Why waste money on food you can find almost anywhere when you can try some great (albeit touristy) food for only a little bit more, like Nando's Peri Peri.
    osurpless

Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:24 pm

• Because it costs more and takes longer to get/eat
    tim_pkmn89

Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:34 pm

• tim_pkmn89 wrote:Do not try the McDonalds. Unless things have changed, the path there is not pedestrian friendly. Unless something changed since last year, you'll have to do some hiking (actually uphill) and cross an interstate on/off ramp.

Really it's only convenient to use if you have a hotel off-site and just want to pick up some food on your way out. Did that last year since the hotel was about a 10 minute drive from the harbor. There were a couple of people there from the convention as well, so I'll just assume they drove as well. Or had balls of steel since it happened to be less than 10 degrees that day.
    Jon_14

Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:16 pm

• kawaiistargirl wrote:So Elevation Burger is that good? I like peanut oil so thats why I dig Five Guys but I'm not a huge fan of the taste of olive oil….do the fries taste of the olive oil at all?

They dropped the Olive Oil. I think they realized that it was stupid because Olive Oil's smoke point is much lower, which causes the fries to be soggy.
    jamisonia

Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:26 pm

• jamisonia wrote:
    kawaiistargirl wrote:So Elevation Burger is that good? I like peanut oil so thats why I dig Five Guys but I'm not a huge fan of the taste of olive oil….do the fries taste of the olive oil at all?

They dropped the Olive Oil. I think they realized that it was stupid because Olive Oil's smoke point is much lower, which causes the fries to be soggy.

Still cooked in olive oil, at least mine were :D Got luck both times with minimal wait.
    Decnav

Return to MAGFest General Discussion

Information