J-RPG Meet-Up Saturday @ 8:30p in The Forum

It's not a Con, it's a Festival! Except when it's a Stock! Or a Gen!

• Hey~o,
    I hosted the panel this past MAGfest called Obscure JRPGs You Should Play (Available in America) &, although I did not get that panel accepted for 2015, I still want to talk about JRPGs (obscure or not) :D

Ideally, it'll be a casual conversation that can be as brief or long as ppl. are willing to stay (feel free to bring visual aides if you want :lol: ). We could meet up Saturday (time TBA) at the Gazebo & move somewhere else if a lot of ppl. start showing up (maybe, never did a meet-up so we'll play it by ear). In general, since this would only be my 2nd MAGfest (mind you: 2nd MAG, not 2nd con ever), I'm totes open to suggestions for places & timing, so feel free to comment away (granted, I'll only be there late Friday & for the weekend). To make it easier to rendezvous, I'll be the one cosplaying Dio from Virtue's Last Reward (yes, I want to talk about this game series too XD).

I know they have the Brainspace rooms this year, but I have no idea how that's going to work out; i.e., if there will be enough space by the time we meet, etc., so again, we'll play it by ear. In either case, when they release the schedule, I'll have more specifics.

Anyway, that's about the long & short of it. If you wish to contact me about this with more ideas outside the forums, my email is the.codarl.ii[a]gmail.com, which also goes towards getting my cell no. for making it easier to meet up. Looking forward to seeing ppl. 8-)
    Last edited by Gauron on Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.
    ~~
    dj Date Masamune
    Panel Site:
    https://djdatemasamune.wordpress.com/
    Gauron

Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:15 am

Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:55 am

• thekingsguard wrote:I'd actually be interested in filming this lecture if and when you give it. I would have caught it and done so last year as a panel, but there was another one I was obliged to film and attend instead at the same time. Would you be up for that?

I'm totally fine w/ that! It's just getting all the particulars ironed out first but, otherwise, definitely come join in. Hopefully I'll be able to nab a Brainspace room for this.
    ~~
    dj Date Masamune
    Panel Site:
    Gauron

Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:56 am

• Hmm, I could talk about my EarthBound obsession.
    Mr. Sautrn

Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:08 pm

• Every JRPG is open! Personally, at most the only thing I'm concerned about is inclusion. I would hate for any one game to get a lot of attention that the majority can't also participate.
    ~~
    dj Date Masamune
    Panel Site:
    Gauron

Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:44 pm

• Just let me know the time and place when you figure it out. I'll at least drop by for a quick hello with other J-RPG enthusiasts.
    It'd be nice to establish a new Social Link.
    Tyjet

Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:59 pm

• I'm down to talk about Chrono Trigger for a little while if that's cool with yall. I'll probably have it on hand as well since I'll have my 3ds on me, lol.
    TheJokersWild804

Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:40 pm

• Hey Gauron,

Nick Marinelli, MAGFest organizer here. I just wanted to say that this thread is awesome, and it's cool as hell that you "get" that you don't need to have a panel slot to have a cool talk with people. A lot of people get really bent out of shape, thinking that their panel decline is the end-of-days for their discussion topic, but what you're doing right now is exactly the right attitude, and what everyone should be doing if their panel is declined.
    nickthenewbie

Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:52 pm

• nickthenewbie wrote:Hey Gauron,

Nick Marinelli, MAGFest organizer here. I just wanted to say that this thread is awesome, and it's cool as hell that you "get" that you don't need to have a panel slot to have a cool talk with people. A lot of people get really bent out of shape, thinking that their panel decline is the end-of-days for their discussion topic, but what you're doing right now is exactly the right attitude, and what everyone should be doing if their panel is declined.

Thanks, bro! I figured since I lived close enough to the area that I might as well go, that I might also try to arrange a JRPG discussion group. However, it would be great to put in the panel rejection emails the whole spiel about Brainspace. That would be another great way to get the name out there AND keep ppl. from dropping out due to not having any panels.
    ~~
    dj Date Masamune
    Panel Site:
    Gauron

Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:38 am

• Gauron wrote:
    nickthenewbie wrote:Hey Gauron,

Thanks, bro! I figured since I lived close enough to the area that I might as well go, that I might also try to arrange a JRPG discussion group. However, it would be great to put in the panel rejection emails the whole spiel about Brainspace. That would be another great way to get the name out there AND keep ppl. from dropping out due to not having any panels.

Well the problem is that brainspace isn't necessarily a given, since the MAGES folks are usually using it most of the time, and we have a loooooooooooooooooooooooooot of panel declines that we send out.
    nickthenewbie

Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:00 am

• nickthenewbie wrote:
    Gauron wrote:
    nickthenewbie wrote:Hey Gauron,

Well the problem is that brainspace isn't necessarily a given, since the MAGES folks are usually using it most of the time, and we have a loooooooooooooooooooooooooot of panel declines that we send out.

I understand, but it would help get the name out about Brainspace (& the MAGES) b/c, otherwise, it isn't anywhere on the site. Additionally, I believe that the only surefire way to know about it is to be super familiar with info. disseminated on practically every Social Networking thing MAGfest has (I only found out about it by watching the Twitch video of the staff meeting). At least with it in being mentioned in the panel decline emails, the caveat of space being limited can be mentioned. My logic is giving ppl. enough to go on that they still would come to the con but not necessarily make any promises. Of course that or just give it a paragraph or 2 on the MAGfest web site.
    ~~
    dj Date Masamune
    Panel Site:
    Gauron

Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:30 am

• Would this be about obscure JRPGS or just JRPGS in general? Don't get me wrong, I love Chrono Trigger and Earthbound, but I feel like they've been talked about to death. Now if we could get into some discussions about Shadow Hearts or Radiant Historia, that'd be worth checking out to me.
    Mike_TV

Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:52 pm

• See you guys there :D It'll be more educational for me
    viglet

Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:42 am

• Mike_TV wrote:Would this be about obscure JRPGS or just JRPGS in general? Don't get me wrong, I love Chrono Trigger and Earthbound, but I feel like they've been talked about to death. Now if we could get into some discussions about Shadow Hearts or Radiant Historia, that'd be worth checking out to me.

It's about JRPGs in general. To be perfectly honest, some of the hipster annoyingness I deal w/ b/c of the "obscure" label (& how that's super debatable) has made me drop it altogether in more recent versions of the panel. Also, for a casual meet-up there's no need to limit the conversation like that. Personally, I also agree CT & Earthbound have been talked about to death, but there's no problem w/ talking about it for 5 minutes or so, I just don't want any given game/series to dominate the entire conversation.

Basically, however the conversation goes is what we'll be talking about. If you want to talk about those games, then be sure to bring them up, as long as ppl. don't hog the entire discussion for 1 game. This way, everyone get s chance to bring something up.
    ~~
    dj Date Masamune
    Panel Site:
    Gauron

Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:19 pm

• Word. Sorry to be picky, I just have very strong feelings about JRPGs. ;)
    Mike_TV

Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:34 pm

• As do I, no game has been more underrated in the last decade than Unlimited Saga, especially if you know about the SaGa series.
    "Fire, Fire! Heh Heh Heh!" - Kefka Palazzo's retainer - Final Fantasy VI
    osurpless

Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:47 pm

• That's not one I've played, so I'd be interested to hear why I should!
    Mike_TV

Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:13 am

• Cosmic fantasy on the turbograffix cd is still my favorite JRPG of all times. I cant find it, for a reasonable price, anywhere. I had a videogame store in the early 90's and imported alot of ganes. Far east of eden was another good one, but Cosmic Fantasy just sucked me in.
    Decnav

• All these games ppl. are mentioning sound really awesome & are getting me hyped for this meet-up :D Definitely be prepared to explain the game a little & talk about why you love it so much for others that haven't played the game.

That being said, barring scheduling changes, the time/place for the JRPG meet-up will be @ 8:30p Saturday in The Forum. Hopefully, I can get it on the schedule on The Forum section to get the word out there, but we'll see. Again, I'll be cosplaying Dio (Virtue's Last Reward; bright @$$ red jacket & black top hat) & will be posting my cell no. closer to the con to make it easier for ppl. to contact me whom are trying to find where we're meeting.

Anyway, if nothing else, I know I can talk about JRPGs all night, so if anyone is still raring to go past that, I'm up for it! Let us all build up & max out our Social Links :lol:
    ~~
    dj Date Masamune
    Panel Site:
    Gauron

• Oh wow, you were the host of the infamous "obscure JRPG" panel last year? I just read through a bunch of people saying that panel was a complete waste of time (to paraphrase) on this very forum and on GameFAQs. Not trying to be a jerk, this is actually going to be my first Magfest and I was wanting to read up on peoples' experiences.
    shaosam

• shaosam wrote:Oh wow, you were the host of the infamous "obscure JRPG" panel last year? I just read through a bunch of people saying that panel was a complete waste of time (to paraphrase) on this very forum and on GameFAQs. Not trying to be a jerk, this is actually going to be my first Magfest and I was wanting to read up on peoples' experiences.

(I tend to be on the wordy side, so bear w/ me; granted, you can't just drop bits of gold like that & not expect a rather...detailed response :D )
    Jesu Christo, you sure do know how to make an entrance :lol: . Not to pick on you or anything, but from my perspective you basically did this: "Hey! I heard you suck balls big time, nice to meet you this is my 1st year :D" (@.@) Glad I have a thick skin >.>…however, to be perfectly blunt, I don't know you & I already don't like you :? There's being a jerk & then there's just being an @$$hole. Needless, to say this is probably one of the worst ways I've ever seen somebody introduce their self to someone else for the first time ("Hi! I heard you're a terrible person, let's talk sometime :) "), but I digress >.>

Anyway, the thing about ppl. saying the panel "sucked" is that I had the room packed for the entire 2 hours & even if I lost 100 ppl. (which I doubt), I still had about 500+ ppl. attending (if that many ppl. thought it sucked, not my fault they're all masochists <.<). I even posted something on this forum asking for feedback, which I had some but not enough to justify "that panel was TERRIBLE" & there were only about 2 complaints in the entire MAGfest 2014 feedback thread (trust me, I read through everything -_-). Yeah, I wasn't able to finish the panel (quite frankly, I never had that active of an audience to throw off the pacing even more, but I digress), but I still had a good 20+ ppl. watch me finish it outside…if it was truly that "terrible" I should have ended w/ 10 or less & sure as heck shouldn't have had any crowd to watch me finish it afterward.

I mean, it's impossible to make everyone happy, I do my best w/ what I got &, quite frankly, I had a LOT of complements & a ton of good feedback. Mind you, the panel wasn't perfect & I've majorly overhauled the entire thing, but as far as I'm concerned, all those complaining who didn't have the balls to complain to me personally are the typical geeks that like to say & start a bunch of s**t online only but can never actually say it to the person in question. So, basically, YouTube commenters. Shouldn't trust everything you read on the internet, kid. If they have the time to waste whining like little b*tches post-facto, then they could have actually told me what the problem was. You implied you also read through this forum, then you should have also seen my post asking for feedback, count how many 'serious' complaints you read there: not nearly enough to justify "that panel was TERRIBLE".

Nowadays I only go to cons to do panels, so I can tell you from personal experience & from the experiences of other fellow panelists that ppl. will complain over the most mundane, trivial, inconsequential things & pretend like it "ruined the panel/worst panel EVAR/ruined the con" as well as my all-time fav "I know more than the panelist!" routine. Fortunately, I'm not so arrogant to assume every panel I give is absolutely perfect & will go back & change any & everything to make each & every panel I do more efficient, more entertaining, & as close to perfect as I can get, but I truly feel sorry for those whom it's their 1st time doing panels, they're all full of hope, they ask for feedback @ the end (& receive none), only to have their confidence/self-esteem crushed by @$$holes online. Seriously, my advice to any & everyone is that you should always give the panelist feedback; good, bad, or indifferent. It's unfair to that person if ppl. go showboating online claiming the panel was "terrible" & never said a single word to the panelist. You can't possibly be that good of a person if you only start saying s**t after the person isn't in earshot (see: cowardly b*tch), which is exactly why I don't take complaints seriously unless I actually, you know, hear them.

Like I mentioned before, I've seen 2 complaints on the 2014 feedback forum & maybe got a few more with the post I made, all of them stating the same thing &, honestly, all of them mentioning mundane things that really boil down to a personal preference & has nothing to do w/ me; i.e., the expected "why didn't you have this game?1" (the entire panel sucks b/c I don't have the 1 game this individual is obsessed w/), "why didn't you do the panel the way I do mine??!!", "why do you have a panel at all! (why wasn't mine accepted) :evil: ", & things of that nature, & I highly doubt anything else I haven't seen deviate from this tendency.
    Last edited by Gauron on Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    ~~
    dj Date Masamune
    Panel Site:
    Gauron

• shaosam wrote:Oh wow, you were the host of the infamous "obscure JRPG" panel last year? I just read through a bunch of people saying that panel was a complete waste of time (to paraphrase) on this very forum and on GameFAQs. Not trying to be a jerk, this is actually going to be my first Magfest and I was wanting to read up on peoples' experiences.

(I tend to write A LOT, so bear w/ me here)
    Furthermore, the plight of all panelists, especially when dealing w/ any geek community, is that ppl. (esp. geeks) will complain about everything & anything and treat it like a major deal breaker ("they didn't mention my fav JRPG of all time, Earthbound?! Worst. Panel. EVAR1"). Ooh, & you can't forget those that play the all or nothing, black or white game: "nobody liked the panel", "everyone hated it", "this is the worst panel EVAR!", etc., etc. Of course, this is always said despite reality. The amount of times I've seen this on con forums only for the panel in ques. to be well-attended or the panelist outright states that they never get complaints on whatever 'that' is are considerable.

I mean, you say you heard "a lot" of ppl. complain about it, but how many is that? If it's anything less than 200 ppl., that's nowhere near how many attended it (& stayed throughout the entire thing), & if you did hear that many ppl.+ complain, well, you're doing better than me I barely heard anything (& the little bit I did hear was mostly positive). The term is loud minority, silent majority, which is usually the case for any panel I see that had "lots of complaints" (almost always according to one butthurt individual), that are relatively hard to find. Lastly, can't forget the bandwagon principle. That's always a b*tch-in-a-half to deal with ~.~ Double ooh, then there are the types that hate panels in general, so really, there's nothing any panelist could do there. Just be another victim to another d'bag (seriously, I love the types that denounce all panels done by regulars like me but think any & every panel given by guests are AMAZING [they have just as many issues as regular run-of-the-mill panelists, there's no difference]). Again, how many of these ppl. use black/white terms & state personal opinions as objective facts? All of 'em, *smh* Being a panelist is what's slowly making dislike all geek communities: they're all becoming full to the brim w/ d'bags, ppl. whom have "something to prove", man/woman children, & the like; it gets old real fast.

IDK, I just find b.s. of this magnetite quite entertaining (let me clarify, nothing against you, just these supposed "complainers") b/c if it were me on the other end I: a) wouldn't sit through the entirety of any panel I didn't like; b) wouldn't go b*tching about it online w/o making any efforts to let the panelist know my opinions first (if not, outright tell them to their face); & c) if I ever didn't like a panel that much, along w/ everything else I stated, I would do my own panel based off how I feel their panel should have been, & not hold a stupid geek grudge against them for no reason. I wouldn't flail online essentially going "look how big my c@ck is! It's way bigger than that s****y panelist! :twisted: " like "all the ppl." (I'm assuming no more than 10) you implied. Let us not also forget the confusion of "I hate this panel" vs. "I hate the panelist". So many times when I read reasons Joe Blow hates such & such panel, they're actually describing their 'hatred' of the panelist & not the actual panel. Heck, if you hate the panelist, who cares about the panel, f**k the panelist :x
    ~~
    dj Date Masamune
    Panel Site:
    Gauron

• ZOMG, how could I forget!? Then you have the annoying @$$ hipsters, which pretty much was anybody that hated the panel & thought it was "terrible". Whenever someone said this panel sucked & listed the games that 'no one who knew anything about games would consider these obscure', yup, you have yourself a hipster & no one takes those man-children seriously ~.~ Literally, every complaint had to deal w/ this type. That being said, yes, no complaint about this panel should be taken seriously. It's just hipster d'bags being pissy at how "mainstream" everything I said was. Heck, the 2 guys that were complaining about it in the 2014 feedback thread? You bet your schweet @$$ they changed their tune the minute I contacted them & politely asked them to detail what they didn't like. In both cases, they outright admitted they were "being too harsh"...as in, "I was only saying d'bag things b/c I didn't think you would see them" :roll:

The only reason why ppl. b*tch on the forums about any given panel is b/c they want to put someone else down to make their self feel better. If they really meant any of their insults (which is what they really are), they'd have told the panelist that vs. going the cowardly route & b'ing online >.>

Other 'fun' mindset I dealt w/ for that panel, WTF is obscurity even?! To me, if there's any level of 'did ppl. play this game?', it counts. Some ppl. were obsessed w/ the numbers stated on Wikipedia (b/c it's info. is always 100% accurate), but then completely ignored the fact that what Wiki says happened doesn't tell me what my audience played, so it's always a crapshoot, let alone decide which games go on & which don't based off that. That problem w/ the complainers is that every one of them wanted my panel to be the way they wanted it to be & judged me accordingly (which is obviously unfair to me & anyone else in this situation for that matter). So, of course, they didn't like it. They wanted to see their idea of my panel, not what I had, which pretty much means I was doomed from the start. Basically, if these ppl. (the few there are) were really being fair, they wouldn't be complaining about jack-squat & realize that my panel wasn't for them, not that 'it sucked.'

From my experiences giving panels & going to cons in general, usually anyone who proclaims how much a panel sucked say that about well-attended panels. So, what they're really complaining about it is "How could this person's panel do better than mine?!" or "why did their panel get accepted & mine didn't?!" or even "It's popular therefore it sucks!" IN this case, there's also the super obvious route of God forbid a woman speaks authoritatively about anything (that's a man's job!) but I prefer the more "innocent" belief that it's just nerds who never felt the touch of a woman (or man) getting their knickers in a bunch.
    ~~
    dj Date Masamune
    Panel Site:
    Gauron

• I like RPG's, obscure or not. It really should be this simple...
    "Fire, Fire! Heh Heh Heh!" - Kefka Palazzo's retainer - Final Fantasy VI
    osurpless

• osurpless wrote:I like RPG's, obscure or not. It really should be this simple...

Tell me about it ~.~ The point of the panel was/is to have a nice discussion w/ other ppl. about some of our fav JRPGs, most of which (which was the other problem; b/c 4 out of 30+ games are debatable the entire panel is defunct) are games where it's hard to find others to talk about. The point wasn't for a few pieces of hipster trash to get their knickers in a knot b/c "WHERE'S EARTHBOUND!? THIS WHOLE PANEL SUX :evil: " & ppl. wonder why outsiders have a low opinion of gamers -_-

It's b/c of this is I changed it & dropped the 'obscure' b.s. (it was OK until annoying game-tards got involved) w/ the new title being "Sit Down, STFU, & Play This J-RPG (Deluxe Edition)" the program guide description being a tl; dr version of everything else I stated here:

Formerly known as ‘Obscure J-RPGs You Should Play’, this newest iteration throws obscurity to the curb (where it belongs) & fully embraces the awesomeness of all JRPGs. Forget ‘obscure’, you just need to play these games! Whether it be tactical, date simmy, grinding, training your mons, a hybrid of all of those, or ??? (profits?), you need to play these RPGs. Who cares if anyone’s heard of them or not, just play it, bro, play it~! So, come one, come all, sit down, shut up, & play these games!

I'll be darned if I let a few virgin nerds ruin my panel fun b/c it wasn't them at the front of the room >.>
    ~~
    dj Date Masamune
    Panel Site:
    Gauron

Next

Return to MAGFest General Discussion

Information