J-RPG Meet-Up Saturday @ 8:30p in The Forum

It's not a Con, it's a Festival! Except when it's a Stock! Or a Gen!

• Descriptions can be odd, as I pride myself on writing jokes for them, even though I suspect few read said descriptions. Much like changing up the panel mostly for my own sake, it's a good way to keep the creative juices flowing.

So the hubbub was over Earthbound? Hardly obscure and overrated compared to the other Mother games. These reviews summed up my main concerns well: http://youtu.be/R4H7y-Ji4QM

http://youtu.be/qzSISyb8QqU
    Last edited by osurpless on Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
    "Fire, Fire! Heh Heh Heh!" - Kefka Palazzo's retainer - Final Fantasy VI
    osurpless

• Incidentally, if anyone brings up this panel & wants to actually get the info. 'straight from the horse's mouth, as it were, I have no problem doing that. Dead serious, due to my cynical tendencies, I find it truly hilarious that b/c 5/600+ ppl. that attended hated it (& most likely didn't stay for the whole thing, so what do they know anyway?), the entire panel sux, never mind actually doing more research into the matter beyond "Well, hipster Joe said it sucked, so it must be true!" or the more obvious tendency that any virgin complainer tends to hyper focus on one (beyond trivial) thing they didn't like & not the panel as a whole. Real talk, there was one guy who said a game shouldn't be on the list b/c it was relatively popular 20+ years ago (Lunar 2: EB)...honestly, I don't know what to say to stupidity of that magnitude (@.@) but I tried (u gotta believe me).

Anyway, I don't want this to eat up the JRPG discussion, which I'm personally super hyped about (& one of the main things I'm looking forward to), but why make assumptions based off crappy sources when you can just ask me directly >.>

Next week, I will be putting my cell no. up here so ppl. that are interested have a POC (granted, I'll only answer txts, I don't answer calls from strange numbers); granted, everything you need to know as far as where/when is in the title. If you want to meet up earlier or some other time to ask me directly what went on w/ that panel, I have no problem doing so. Unlike the few idiots that have been complaining about the most trivial things, I can actually talk to ppl. & recognize the strengths & weaknesses of my panel IRL w/o going off the deep end into hipster d'bag territory.
    ~~
    dj Date Masamune
    Panel Site:
    https://djdatemasamune.wordpress.com/
    Gauron

• osurpless wrote:Descriptions can be odd, as I pride myself on writing jokes for them, even though I suspect few read said descriptions. Much like changing up the panel mostly for my own sake, it's a good way to keep the creative juices flowing.

So the hubbub was over Earthbound? Hardly obscure and overrated compared to the other Mother games. These reviews summed up my main concerns well: http://youtu.be/R4H7y-Ji4QM

http://youtu.be/qzSISyb8QqU

That was one of the main games mentioned whenever it was a case of "WHY DIDN'T YOU HAVE THIS GAME!?" One guy complained about not having 16bit era JRPGs (in which case, make your own panel); others complained about profanity usage (Jon St. Jon was right after my panel & I mentioned in the beginning I was going to be using profanity, I always do, even if it's an 18+ panel I'll warn ppl. about that); or, complaints of "HOW COULD YOU HAVE THIS GAME?! EVERYONE KNOWS ABOUT IT!". These complaints usually involved the mentioning of the .hack or Star Ocean series. I think b/c .hack is based off an anime & SO 2 has an anime based off it, it's automatically assumed to be "popular enough" but that's not how things work, & in the case of SO, over a decade & I can barely find ppl. that played the game series (or watched the anime for that matter), let alone somebody tell me "it's popular 'enough' " (seriously, what does that phrase even mean? You're essentially acknowledging the problem of deciding what should/should not go on the list, idiots ~.~).

Besides that, every complaint has been the same old drivel that boils down to "WHY DIDN'T YOU DO YOUR PANEL THE WAY I WANTED IT TO BE DONE?!" (caps to emphasize the immature nerd rage) that any & all panelists go through.

Honestly, due to my experiences w/ the Earthbound & even Mother fandom, I have an overall low opinion of them. It's my personal belief in any fandom you have the bad & the good half, but Earthbound tests that. I agree, it's super overrated (not that it's bad, just over done) & practically any "Top X underrated games of all time" list that exists, I almost always see this game, so I never thought of it as 'obscure'.

As far as panel descriptions, the chance to sell any given panel is the title, the description's really just there to further clarify what the title should have already established. However, I still like to put as much effort into writing these as possible b/c it's still the last line of defense when trying to 'sell' your panel in the program guide.
    ~~
    dj Date Masamune
    Panel Site:
    Gauron

• As promised, here's my contact info. for the meet-up: 301.706.9310 (cell), the.codarl.ii[a]gmail.com (email). As I mentioned before, I will only be answering txts as I don't answer calls from strange numbers, however, if you're one of those types that don't have a txt plan then leave a message. Additionally, I have a smart phone so feel free to either txt or email, I'll be answering both throughout the event. Also, just so it's super clear, the JRPG meet-up is Saturday @ 8:30p in The Forum room. I'll be cosplaying Dio (Virtue's Last Reward), so if you see someone in a bright @$$ red jacket w/ a black top hat, I'm your gurl :D

In the event the conversation spills into the next event in the Forum we can continue talking outside somewhere (where there are chairs). Also, if ppl. want to meet up Sunday to just hang out or talk even more about JRPGs, feel free to hit me up :)

Hopefully, ppl. weren't scared off by blocks of txt (I tend to write a lot in general & that was somewhat a detailed thing to explain) but also as promised, if you want to ask me the details of my JRPG panel last year, I have no problems answering them, just ask before/after the actual JRPG meet-up.

Anyway, that's about it. Can't wait to go to MAGfest this coming weekend, see ppl., cosplay, & make new social links XD Lastly, please spread the word about this to anyone you think may be interested; the more, the merrier ^.^
    ~~
    dj Date Masamune
    Panel Site:
    Gauron

• I may have to bounce back and forth between The Forum and Concert Hall for the Meet-Up. I don't think I could stand to miss all of the Megas' performance.
    Tyjet

• Tyjet wrote:I may have to bounce back and forth between The Forum and Concert Hall for the Meet-Up. I don't think I could stand to miss all of the Megas' performance.

No problem! It was hard comin' up w/ a time b/c at any given point a lot is happening. I personally didn't want to miss Best Friends Zaibatsu & tried to not schedule at a time where a lot of other major events/guests panels are happening, so definitely stay as long as you can & totally understand having to step out for other stuff.
    ~~
    dj Date Masamune
    Panel Site:
    Gauron

• Ho ho ho, one more thing~
    Some general rules for the discussion:
    • Respect everyone’s opinions, likewise, be aware that not everyone shares your views on things
    • Respect whomever’s talking; i.e., don’t be the interrupting cow
    • Don’t try to dominate the conversation (& other general conversation no-no’s)
    • Don’t just show up to talk, show up to listen & make new friends XD
    • Like mentioned before, all JRPGs are open for discussion; no need to hold back (w/in reason)
    • Also, feel free to bring up topics in JRPGs & not necessarily just specific games/series; i.e., affinity systems, JRPG character types, favorite settings, game theories on plots, etc.
    • I personally have no problems discussing other games, especially the Zero Escape series (999, Virtue’s Last Reward) & other things of the like, as long as it isn’t dragging down the general conversation
    • Don’t be afraid of asking questions; this isn’t a meet-up for “JRPG experts” just a fun get-together to make new friends, get game suggestions, & hear other ppl.’s opinions about different games

Basically, just have fun, be yourself, & don’t do drugs :lol: !
    ~~
    dj Date Masamune
    Panel Site:
    Gauron

• It was nice to chat with you for a while Gauron. Maybe see you @ the next MAGFest?
    Tyjet

Previous

Return to MAGFest General Discussion

Information