Rock Band.

It's not a Con, it's a Festival! Except when it's a Stock! Or a Gen!
Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:20 am

• It'll be there. It's one of my sole reasons for going, and I'm looking forward to running/babysitting/playing it all weekend. All available instruments (multiple kinds of guitars, Ion drumkit with cymbals, keyboard w/ stand, Mustang pro guitar, three mics w/ stands), tons of the official DLC, and a large number of customs. Everyone is welcome as long as you're not...I don't know, actively trying to break things. I know I plan on singing all weekend, losing my voice, hanging out with the regulars, and passing out each night around 5am to do it again the next day.

If you'd like a peek at my songs ahead of time, check out the link.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 2126697846
    MiltoniusPrime

Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:26 pm

• I was there last year, it was a lot of fun, can't imagine hauling all those plastic instruments lol. You should get those 2 Dream Theater albums, it's almost a crime to only have 1 custom of theirs (Pull Me Under)
    Captdeadman

Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:59 pm

• Where will you be set up? I'll definitely want to come by and sing a few songs.
    Shadsy

Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:32 pm

• Captdeadman wrote:You should get those 2 Dream Theater albums, it's almost a crime to only have 1 custom of theirs (Pull Me Under)

Wait, there were Dream Theater ALBUMS as DLC?? I thought they only released 3-5 songs total?

Shadsy wrote:Where will you be set up? I'll definitely want to come by and sing a few songs.

+1 to this! Would absolutely love to play during any free time, where can we find ya?
    WeAPOn

Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:45 pm

• WeAPOn wrote:
    Captdeadman wrote:You should get those 2 Dream Theater albums, it's almost a crime to only have 1 custom of theirs (Pull Me Under)

Wait, there were Dream Theater ALBUMS as DLC?? I thought they only released 3-5 songs total?

They have Images and Words/Metropolis pt 2 albums as (very high quality) custom songs
    Captdeadman

Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:37 pm

• Captdeadman wrote:
    WeAPOn wrote:
    Captdeadman wrote:You should get those 2 Dream Theater albums, it's almost a crime to only have 1 custom of theirs (Pull Me Under)

They have Images and Words/Metropolis pt 2 albums as (very high quality) custom songs

Ah, I am not very familiar with custom songs. Is this something like the CDLC for Rocksmith? It's not "official" but has to be added by other means? Is this supported on all systems? I am a diehard Dream Theater fan and would love to have those songs.
    WeAPOn

Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:07 pm

• WeAPOn wrote:Ah, I am not very familiar with custom songs. Is this something like the CDLC for Rocksmith? It's not "official" but has to be added by other means? Is this supported on all systems? I am a diehard Dream Theater fan and would love to have those songs.

It's for rock band 3, I think the majority of custom songs are for Xbox 360, I've seen a few for wii/ps3. As for getting them, you need a USB stick and access to a computer to plug it into, and I also think the RB3 disc has have the EA logo on it for some reason, not 100% though. There's also this helpful video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1 ... l=84359240
    Captdeadman

Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:32 pm

• Yeah, those custom songs, wow. I'm down for some Badfinger and Cyndi Lauper.
    Shadsy

Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:33 am

• I've got a few Dream Theater tracks, but I've got most of my song list prepared for the con at this point. As much as I'd love to have everything, I'm trying to balance keeping things diverse with the chance anyone will actually play them. Two DT albums looks impressive except that at most one or two songs would get played. Any specific songs you had in mind?

And I'm pretty sure I'll have the Badfinger and Cyndi Lauper tracks you had in mind (especially if you were going by the link to my song list, all of those are definites).
    MiltoniusPrime

Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:51 am

• Captdeadman wrote:
    WeAPOn wrote:Ah, I am not very familiar with custom songs. Is this something like the CDLC for Rocksmith? It's not "official" but has to be added by other means? Is this supported on all systems? I am a diehard Dream Theater fan and would love to have those songs.

It's for rock band 3, I think the majority of custom songs are for Xbox 360, I've seen a few for wii/ps3. As for getting them, you need a USB stick and access to a computer to plug it into, and I also think the RB3 disc has have the EA logo on it for some reason, not 100% though. There's also this helpful video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1 ... l=84359240

Wow, thank you! MAGFest isn't even started and I've already learned something amazing. Had NO idea this was possible. Did some research and PS3 can be jailbroken to support this.

Looks like I might have some work to do after magfest...
    WeAPOn

Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:25 am

• MiltoniusPrime wrote:I've got a few Dream Theater tracks, but I've got most of my song list prepared for the con at this point. As much as I'd love to have everything, I'm trying to balance keeping things diverse with the chance anyone will actually play them. Two DT albums looks impressive except that at most one or two songs would get played. Any specific songs you had in mind?

And I'm pretty sure I'll have the Badfinger and Cyndi Lauper tracks you had in mind (especially if you were going by the link to my song list, all of those are definites).

If I had to pick a few, they would be
    Beyond This Life (Metropolis pt2)
    Take the Time (Images and Words)
    Fatal Tragedy (Metropolis pt2)
    Captdeadman

Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:07 am

• Captdeadman wrote:If I had to pick a few, they would be
    Beyond This Life (Metropolis pt2)
    Take the Time (Images and Words)
    Fatal Tragedy (Metropolis pt2)

I'll consider grabbing a few of those. Usually when a con is coming up I try to ask what songs people want via Twitter, though most of the time people just want to sing "Don't Stop Believing" or "Bohemian Rhapsody". And my house rule tends to be "singer's choice" since it sucks being forced to either sing a song the instrumentalists are forcing you to do or give up the turn you waited 40 minutes for (from Otakon experience).
    MiltoniusPrime

Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:49 pm

• WeAPOn wrote:
    Captdeadman wrote:
    WeAPOn wrote:Ah, I am not very familiar with custom songs. Is this something like the CDLC for Rocksmith? It's not "official" but has to be added by other means? Is this supported on all systems? I am a diehard Dream Theater fan and would love to have those songs.

Wow, thank you! MAGFest isn't even started and I've already learned something amazing. Had NO idea this was possible. Did some research and PS3 can be jailbroken to support this.

Looks like I might have some work to do after magfest...

It's an exploit with how the game handled the Rock Band 1 imports up until Content Update 5. Copies of the game with the Madcatz logo included this update already.
    tim_pkmn89

Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:20 pm

• Thank you again, so much, to everyone who came out and had fun. A lot of people got a kick out of the customs (esp. R.Kelly's "Ignition (Remix)"), and there were lots of times where a whole crowd was singing along (too many songs to name, you guys are crazy). Things got so much better once we had a PA, actually being able to hear the music you're playing along to makes a difference (may need to invest in a personal PA, which would likely only get used once a year...). The drum kit held up well, aside from someone thinking the knob for tightening the green cymbal counted as a part you could hit (it doesn't). Instruments were rarely dropped onto the ground (thumbs up).

Thank you for being patient with me occasionally jumping ahead in line to sing stuff, having to sit at a table all day watching people play Rock Band makes me want to play it even more (surprise surprise). And thank you for putting up with me having to yell at you occasionally, I get a little anxious around big loud crowds who might not be able to hear me giving them crucial info. Thank you for not getting into any fistfights and for keeping the vocals line running smooth, I really get a kick out of knowing people are actually talking to each other, keeping things orderly. Thank you to anyone who scanned the QR code for the song book, next year I'll try to get a second one printed. Thank you to everyone else who chanted YOU FUCKED UP when someone accidentally paused mid-song, which is UNFORGIVABLE (and which I did once or twice). Thank you for letting me jump onto pro guitar and be a show-offy dick for the handful of songs I knew how to play. Thank you for letting me bitch about music taste, I know a few of you were really excited to sing Queen's "Somebody to Love" but having to hear that nine or ten times in a weekend wears on a guy.

Already excited for next year. If you want to add me on Twitter, and hear me rant about a lot of garbage/occasionally talk about Rock Band or planning for convention VG rooms, I'm @MiltoniusPrime.
    MiltoniusPrime

Return to MAGFest General Discussion

Information