cosplay rules?

It's not a Con, it's a Festival! Except when it's a Stock! Or a Gen!
Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:29 am

• Hey!
    I was wondering if there are limits for those who cosplay? Like are there areas of the hotel that cosplayers cannot go to? Can you go to the concerts in cosplay? The game room? If anyone knows, please let me know.
    whitewave13

Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:26 am

• This is a partial list and people in charge please correct the things I have in error and add the things I missed.

Swords need to not only not have a sharp edge but not metal either (I think)

Guns need to have the orange "Im a fake gun" end piece even if they are obviously plastic

This one isnt so much a rule as a common courtesy. Be aware of the things sticking out of your costume (like long feathers, other things that stick out 6 inches or more). There will be a lot of people at Magfest and everyone likes their personal bubble not to be interfered with. I personally find it super annoying to get smacked in the face with part of someone's costume as they walk by. Also going to panels is kinda annoying when someone has things to obstruct the view of the panelists.

If you are going to stand around "posing" do not do so directly in front of doors, elevators, escalators, vendor booths, fire exits.
    rod

Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:04 pm

• You also might want to check the website for Katsucon. It is in the same building and it also covers some of the hotels policies like what exactly has to be covered up, etc.
    DeskLaser

Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:47 am

• whitewave13 - also email security@magfest.org for rulings on any cosplay/prop questions.
    bsmart

Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:37 am

• Here are the Cosplay Prop & Dress Code guidelines from Katsucon. Since, as mentioned, it's at the same hotel, safe to say these rules most likely apply for MAGFest as well:

Cosplay Prop Guidelines

A.K.A.: The Weapons Policy

To ensure the general safety of Katsucon’s attendees, we can’t allow people to carry the following types of weapons or cosplay props:

Live steel of any kind including knives, swords, axes, martial arts equipment, shurikens, etc.
    Any other type of bladed weapon.
    Any weapon/prop that can currently, or could in the past, shoot a projectile (“projectile” includes water, aerosols/sprays, Airsoft guns with/without ammo or air, toy bows, etc.)
    Anything generally awkward to carry, or that can’t be controlled by the person carrying (i.e., it is so heavy, you are consistently dropping it in the hallway, or cannot keep it from swinging into other attendees). Katsucon staff will be the final determinant as to whether something is too awkward or too dangerous to be carried around the convention.
    Any item that is deemed to be too awkward or dangerous to carry must either be taken to the attendee’s hotel room, car, or checked with the hotel bag check, or otherwise removed from the active areas of the convention.

Dress Code

While Katsucon does not have a dress code of our own, we strongly support the wishes of our fine hosting facility, the Gaylord National. The Gaylord does have some things we’ll need to bear in mind:
    All Attendees must have their private areas covered at all times.
    Material must extend at least one (1) inch above the nipple and below/to the sides of the breast, and at least one (1) inch above the pubic area and below the crotch/buttocks.
    This coverage must remain in place while moving/bending/posing/etc., so if your cosplay (or street clothes) rides up/down, please extend it, find a way to secure it, or wear something under it.
    Shirt coverings must be worn at all times, by both sexes.
    Mesh shirts are allowed if they provide the require coverage of sensitive areas.
    Tape over the nipples will not suffice.
    Capes will not be accepted in place of shirts – if you’re wearing one, please wear a shirt underneath.
    Kuri

Return to MAGFest General Discussion

Information