Hello first time from England

It's not a Con, it's a Festival! Except when it's a Stock! Or a Gen!
Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:23 pm

• Good Evening (or really early in the morning here!)

I'm flying over from England with 2 pal's to attend MAGFest will be my first time visiting a con in America that isn't SGC.
    Wondering what should I expect? be nice to chat to some of you before hand! Being new n all can be daunting leaving the small island for the big shores of the United States! (your passport control are quite.... scary).

I've heard MAGFest is a pretty amazing convention so I'm really excited!
    What are peoples highlights/recommendations to see?

I plan to see Ninja Sex Party and check out the Arcades.

Oh my names Mike! can't wait to meet you all!!
    Heretic

Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:33 pm

• Get on the Magfest irc. It is just below where you can go to the forums from the main page. Keep in mind people might not greet you when you get in there. Its best to say hello and whatever else and wait. People that go in there and are in for just 2 mins really dont deserve any info in my opinion.
    rod

Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:40 am

• Welcome! You're really in for a treat at MAGFest. I've been going to conventions for about 12 years now, and I've gone to all different kinds (games, anime, even furry, you name it) and MAGFest has ALWAYS been at the top of the list for me. The environment there is great - everyone is there to have fun and play games for 4 days straight. It's almost more like a big party than anything else. I've always found it SO easy to strike up a conversation while waiting in line or just standing around.

I personally always make it a point to attend the DJ Battle as I love chiptunes! It's always a really, really good time. The visuals are great and the crowd is always so hyped. This year I'll definitely be seeing NSP & TWRP! Those concerts are sure to be INSANE, so try to get to the concert room earlier if possible to make sure you can get in.

The arcades are great, as you can imagine. There's tons to see and do, so do a loop or two around to scope out some games you really want to play. If they have it this year and you've never played it, check out Johann Sebastian Joust. It's a really fun (and stressful) game :)

In a few weeks the Guidebook schedule should be posted, so keep an eye out for that (if you're unaware of what it is, it's a phone app where you can look at the schedule for tons of events). I love to look at it once it's posted to get an idea of what events there are and if there are any I want to see. Not only does it get me super excited for the con (as if I needed any help with that), it makes it easy for me to find events I want to attend and set little alarms for them. It's easy to lose track of time while you're out and about (or a little drunk) so having the little phone alerts is super helpful.

I hope this helped a bit! Welcome back to the USA and I hope you have an excellent time!
    Kuri

Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:06 pm

• thanks for the info guys! i've spoken to you in IRC now rod! i stuck around a lot longer than 2 minutes ;)

Kuri that's great to know, didn't know they had a mobile app for it. Certainly be downloading that. There is no way I want to miss the NSP concert I'm going to have to queue early for that even if I have to do it alone (don't think the 2 people I'm going with are really into NSP)
    Heretic

Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:03 pm

• You definitely won't be alone! Not in the literal sense, since you can get hype with everyone else! I should have you hang out with us, my friend's boyfriend is coming from England as well and he's pretty nervous so maybe having another fancy Englishman with him would help XD
    Kuri

Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:26 pm

• I'm not sure I'm fancy! There will be 3 of us, 2 English guys and a scotsman as well!
    what part of England is he coming from?
    Heretic

Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:33 pm

Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:58 am

• Thanks for the links i think i'm a member of the MAGFest group but i'll join if im not.
    Heretic

Return to MAGFest General Discussion

Information