Recent Spam Bots

It's not a Con, it's a Festival! Except when it's a Stock! Or a Gen!
Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:43 pm

• Hey guys, sorry about the spam we got the last couple of days... Who could have guessed that the spammers would eventually figure out how to spell Donkey Kong! I deleted the spam and tweaked the ban settings a little to try and decrease the flow, but we're working on improving our overall settings and automated systems to hopefully keep it out better in the future. I know it's pretty disheartening for anyone when the entire front page of the forum is a virtual wall of obvious Russian spam. But, I promise, we are paying attention, and we are still working on things! Mostly, we're trying to strike a balance between keeping out everything (including legitimate users) and letting all the spam in, that doesn't involve manually approving users and posts. Manual approval puts a lot of load on the moderator team and tends to lead to people waiting longer than they should have to. This is especially true shortly before MAGFest when the moderator team is busy with their normal MAGFest responsibilities and many people are joining daily in a hurry to buy/sell badges and look for rooms/roommates or rides/riders.
    Ian
    Site Admin

Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:16 pm

• Well, the spam bots learned that MAGFest isn't a con, it's a fest, so I've come up with a new security question, cleared the spam posts, and spent 2 hours removing the bots that hadn't yet posted and setting up some additional email ban masks. Just wanted everyone to know that we do try to keep this dark little corner of the web clean!
    Ian
    Site Admin

Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:22 am

• Excellent job sir. Hopefully they made no money because everyone could see just how fake and illiterate the text was.
    rod

Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:02 am

• Thanks Ian! Every year I'm a little worried that the forum will be pulled down, and it's good to see you working to keep it up! :)
    Salvatos

Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:16 pm

• There's still a couple of us trying to keep the lights on! (Literally 2 of us.)

Speaking of which, we're actively trying to stop the most recent wave of spam that's been cropping up. We're getting probably 6-12 spam accounts a day, but we've been tweaking email filters and trying to get the captcha stuff working better. Unfortunately, requiring admin approval isn't really a viable option because determining if all the accounts were spam/legitimate becomes a pretty big annoyance, and to make matters worse the number of legitimate registrations goes through the roof just before MAGFest, which is when we're all beyond busy with regular staffing stuff. (I'm a tech ops department head, I spend about a week in the hotel setting things up and tearing them down again before/during/after fest, and a lot of time before that on meetings and spreadsheets and ordering stuff.)
    Ian
    Site Admin

Return to MAGFest General Discussion

Information